Time-series analysis of the Pu'u 'Ō'ō-Kupaianaha eruption (1983-2009), Kīlauea Volcano, Hawai'i: Crustal processes
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
How the activity is situated in the course
- magmatic processes in basaltic systems;
- hotspot volcanism; or
- using geochemical data in Earth systems.
Content/concepts goals for this activity
- integrating observations from multiple resources on active hotspot volcanism in Hawaii (e.g. maps, photographs, satellite imagery, video footage, background reading);
- observing hand samples and thin-sections of recently erupted lavas;
- making and interpreting geochemical plots of lavas from eruptions on Kīlauea Volcano as part of a time-series analysis;
- formulating and evaluating hypotheses on crustal magmatic processes; and
- synthesizing, presenting and discussing information about petrologic processes associated with active volcanism at Kīlauea Volcano.
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
Other skills goals for this activity
Description of the activity/assignment
- Pre-lab material provides background on the Hawaiian hotspot and the current eruption utilizing maps, diagrams, information, photographs, and video footage of the Pu'u 'Ō'ō-Kupaianaha eruption with accompanying questions.
- Examination of hand samples and thin-sections of lavas from a distinct interval of the Pu'u 'Ō'ō-Kupaianaha eruption with group partners in lab.
- Time-series analysis of whole-rock geochemistry from the Pu'u 'Ō'ō-Kupaianaha eruption to evaluate crustal processes of magmatic evolution working within groups for particular intervals of the eruption.
- Interpretation and synthesis of background information, petrography, and geochemistry, and presentation of results and interpretation at the beginning of the next lab period with group partners.
Determining whether students have met the goals
Download teaching materials and tips
- Activity Description/Assignment (Zip Archive 10.2MB Nov10 10)
- Pu‘u ‘Ō‘ō lab teacher introduction (Microsoft Word 49kB Jul23 10)
- Pu‘u ‘Ō‘ō lab supporting materials (Zip Archive 282kB Feb10 11)
A list of selected references for the lab is included with the supporting materials.