Interim Chair, Department of Economics
North Carolina A&T State University
1601 East Market Street
Greensboro, NC 27411
Scott Simkins is Interim Chair and Associate Professor in the Department of Economics at North Carolina A&T State University (NC A&T) in Greensboro, NC. From 2004 through 2015 he served as full-time director of the Academy for Teaching and Learning at NC A&T. He earned his Ph.D. in economics from the University of Iowa in 1988.
His research focuses on pedagogical innovation in economics, cross-disciplinary adaptations of educational research and pedagogical practices, and challenges associated with the diffusion of evidence-based teaching practices. His economic education research has appeared in the Journal of Economic Education as well as other journals and focuses on the adaptation and implementation of pedagogical innovations in economics and their effect on student learning. Scott has been a frequent presenter on scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL) topics at workshops and conferences regionally, nationally, and internationally and is the co-editor of Just-in-Time Teaching: Across the Disciplines and Across the Academy https://www.amazon.com/Just-Time-Teaching-Disciplines-Pedagogies/dp/1579222935 and co-executive editor of the journal College Teaching.
Related Pedagogical Projects
Since 2000 he and Mark Maier (Glendale Community College) have collaborated to lead five National Science Foundation (NSF)-funded projects exploring the adaptability of STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) discipline teaching innovations in economics:
- DUE #0088303 - Developing and Implementing Just-in-Time-Teaching (JiTT) Techniques in the Principles of Economics Course
- DUE #0411037 -Implications of STEM Discipline Research for Instructional Innovation and Assessment in Economic Education
- DUE #081738 - Developing an Economics Pedagogic Portal
- DUE #1245802 - The Math You Need, When You Need It: Modular Student Resources to Promote Successful Integration of Quantitative Concepts in Introductory Economics Courses.
- DUE #1712295 - Promoting Adoption of Team-Based Learning Pedagogy in College Economics Classes
The Developing an Economics Pedagogic Portal project focused on the development of the Starting Point: Teaching and Learning Economics portal here on the SERC site. The Math You Need - Economics and Adoption of Team-Based Learning Pedagogy project are also part of the Starting Point portal.