The workshop provided opportunities for Statistics educators to network with colleagues, to learn more about the Pedagogic Service project, and to contribute to the growing activity collection.
The goals of the workshop were to:
- Disseminate information about the Pedagogic Service project.
- Define the characteristics of pedagogically sound classroom activities.
- Review, edit, and refine pre-submitted activities so that they can be added to the growing CAUSEweb activity collection.
- Create a network of leaders in the statistics education and cognitive science communities who can disseminate information about effective teaching pedagogies.
- Creating posters to disseminate information about the workshop products at the USCOTS conference.
Workshop activities included large and small group discussions, demonstrations, and planning/writing/reviewing/editing sessions. Participant created activities were added to the collection of digital resources for use by Statistics educators throughout the world.
The workshop began on Wednesday, May 16th at 1:00pm and conclude with lunch on Thursday, May 17th.
All participants were expected to:
- Write and submit an instructional activity before the workshop.*
- * Workshop participants that had previously submitted to the STAR Library could, in lieu of submitting a new activity, re-write their STAR Library activity.
- Read (before the workshop) and share peer review comments (during the workshop) on 3 to 5 activities that are submitted by other workshop participants.
- Prepare in advance for workshop discussions via readings, writings, discussion or other activities developed by workshop leaders.
- Participate fully in the entire workshop
- Support follow-on activities including, but not limited to, a poster presentation at the USCOTS conference.
The operational costs of the workshop, lodging & meals during the workshop, as well as participant transportation costs to and from the workshop/USCOTS conference were covered by a grant from the NSF Division of Undergraduate Education (DUE-0532768).
Participation in this meeting was limited to invited participants only.
The workshop was be held at The Blackwell Hotel and Conference Center in Columbus, OH. Lodging for the night of May 16th was provided for workshop participants. Meals were served during the workshop at no expense to the participants.
For More Information
Please contact Cathy Manduca if you have any questions about the workshop program (email@example.com, 507-222-7096)
Please contact Jean Scott if you have any questions about the workshop logistics (firstname.lastname@example.org 614-688-5913)