Maree Lucas, West Virginia University Online
Discuss this Resource»
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Other materials addressing 2d
4.3 Fossil and bio fuels contain energy captured from sunlight.
Various sources of energy are used to power human activities .
2.5 Energy moves between reservoirs.
Physical processes on Earth are the result of energy flow .
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- This is a good, uncomplicated carbon cycle interactive to use with any lesson on the carbon cycle. It would be especially useful for middle school. Educator could use the text on fossil fuels to explain the differences in how oil, coal and gas are formed.
About the Science
- Students interact with various components of the carbon cycle. Some of the science may be overly simplistic - especially information about fossil fuels.
- Comments from expert scientist: Goes through all aspects of the carbon cycle and relates them. Simple animations aid with understanding and are fun to view. Some parts are well explained for the average person.
About the Pedagogy
- Written for middle school students and uses clear, uncluttered language.
- Students can begin at any stage, which reinforces the idea that there is no beginning or endpoint to the cycle.
Have you used these materials with your students? Do you have insights to share with other educators about their use? Please share with the community by adding a comment below.
Please use this space only for discussion about teaching with these particular materials.
For more general discussion about teaching climate literacy please use our general discussion boards.
To report a problem or direct a comment to the CLEAN project team please use our feedback form (or the feedback link at the bottom of every page).
Off-topic posts will be deleted.