Download the structure for interactive viewingChoose one of the options below, based on which program you want to view the structure with.
For viewing with the demo version of CrystalMaker (more info) ,
- Go to ZnS Wurtzite at Stephen Heyes' website at Oxford University and click on the image of the wurtzite crystal structure to download and open in CrystalMaker for viewing, or...
Download the wurtzite structure as Wurtzite unit cell ( 3kB Jun8 07). This is a cmdf file, which you can view in CrystalMaker.
- Open the Crystal Structures Library on the CrystalMaker disc, and click on Minerals > Non-Silicates > Sulphides > Wurtzite.
- Click on the WURTZITE file in the XtalDraw folder.
- What is the coordination number for Zn? for S?
- The Zn and S atoms are each in a close-packed structure? What kind?
- Exand the structure by clicking on Transform -> Set Range, clicking "Expand" 5 times, and then "Apply". Look down onto any S atom in the . What is the rotational symmetry about this atom (e.g., how many degree rotation is necessary to replicate the same atomic positions)?