Team-Based Learning: Getting beyond the basics.
January 30-31, 2009
TBL creator Larry Michaelsen will lead participants to learn about the key characteristics of effective team assignments. Working in teams, participants will focus on re-designing their own assignments to make them more effective. There will also be time to discuss effective strategies for writing Readiness Assessment Tests.
2009 Carleton College Workshop on Team-Based Learning with Larry Michaelsen. Jan 30-31. Co-Sponsored by: Carleton Interdisciplinary Science and Math Initiative (CISMI), Perlman Center for Learning and Teaching, St. Olaf College Center for Innovation in the Liberal Arts CILA, Carleton Mellon Life Cycles Grant, Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), and Carleton's Science Education Resource Center (SERC)
- First-Day Questions for the
- Three Keys to Using Learning Groups Effectively (Acrobat (PDF) 165kB Feb3 09)
- Key teaching activities in TBL (Acrobat (PDF) 80kB Feb3 09)
- "Backward" design (Acrobat (PDF) 106kB Feb3 09)
- Worksheet for application design (Acrobat (PDF) 60kB Feb3 09)
TBL sites of interest
- An excellent TBL site (teambasedlearning.org). This contains information about the TBL email listr.
Great Hall, Carleton College
Getting Beyond the Basics of TBL
- 5:30 - 7:00 pm Working session
- 7:00 - 9:00 pm Reception & Dinner (Dinner at 7:30)
Regents Hall of Natural and Mathematical Sciences, St. Olaf College
Designing Effective Group Assignments
- 8:30 am Continental Breakfast
- 9:00 am - noon Working session
- noon - 1pm Lunch
If you want to know more about TBL, contact Fernán Jaramillo or Trish Ferrett.