Team-Based Learning: Getting beyond the basics.
January 30-31, 2009
TBL creator Larry Michaelsen will lead participants to learn about the key characteristics of effective team assignments. Working in teams, participants will focus on re-designing their own assignments to make them more effective. There will also be time to discuss effective strategies for writing Readiness Assessment Tests.
2009 Carleton College Workshop on Team-Based Learning with Larry Michaelsen. Jan 30-31. Co-Sponsored by: Carleton Interdisciplinary Science and Math Initiative (CISMI), Perlman Center for Learning and Teaching (more info) , St. Olaf College Center for Innovation in the Liberal Arts CILA, Carleton Mellon Life Cycles Grant , Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), and Carleton's Science Education Resource Center (SERC)
- First-Day Questions for the
- Three Keys to Using Learning Groups Effectively (Acrobat (PDF) 165kB Feb3 09)
- Key teaching activities in TBL (Acrobat (PDF) 80kB Feb3 09)
- "Backward" design (Acrobat (PDF) 106kB Feb3 09)
- Worksheet for application design (Acrobat (PDF) 60kB Feb3 09)
TBL sites of interest
- An excellent TBL site (teambasedlearning.org) . This contains information about the TBL email listr.
Great Hall, Carleton College
Getting Beyond the Basics of TBL
- 5:30 - 7:00 pm Working session
- 7:00 - 9:00 pm Reception & Dinner (Dinner at 7:30)
Regents Hall of Natural and Mathematical Sciences, St. Olaf College
Designing Effective Group Assignments
- 8:30 am Continental Breakfast
- 9:00 am - noon Working session
- noon - 1pm Lunch
If you want to know more about TBL, contact Fernán Jaramillo or Trish Ferrett.