SERC websites provide opportunities for faculty to share with one another the ideas, activities and materials that they have developed and tested in their classes – and to receive recognition for that development process. Whenever you contribute you will receive acknowledgment on the resulting webpage or description. Many of the projects provide mechanisms for reviewing contributed teaching materials. For example, the Starting Point project collaborates with the DLESE Community Review system to obtain peer review of your teaching examples in order to establish the value placed on them by our community.
Authors of original works submitted to SERC retain their copyright. But in volunteering the works they agree to offer it under a Creative Commons license Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0. allowing for reuse and redistribution with attribuition. Authors are responsible for obtaining copyright permission for all materials that they distribute within their work.
If you would like to recommend someone else's materials for inclusion or have questions about how we make use of submissions to our projects, please email John McDaris (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Examples of the Types of Materials You Can Contribute
- Starting Point provides an opportunity to share examples of different teaching methods used in entry level geoscience courses. You can also submit examples of courses that emphasize Earth System Science or the use of and Earth History Approach.
- Contribute teaching methods or activities that are effective in Teaching Quantitative Skills in the Geosciences.
- Earth Exploration Toolbook seeks authors for chapters describing how to use a particular dataset or tool in K-16 classrooms.
- Using Data in the Classroom collects activities that engage students in collecting or interpreting data.
- You can share information about projects addressing learning in the geosciences and their research results via the Research on Learning site.
- If you would like to become an editor for one of the projects, please contact Cathy Manduca (email@example.com) to discuss the available options.