SERC is Hiringpublished Jul 1, 2019 3:44pm
The Science Education Resource Center at Carleton College is accepting applications for a full-time, 12 month, Web Developer. The Web Developer will work closely with the Technical Director to develop and support SERC's web infrastructure. This AWS-based Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP infrastructure underpins over 100 science education projects that reach millions of visitors each year.
This position will play a key role in ensuring these projects continue to reach their audiences effectively through exceptional websites. This position will work in partnership with SERC staff to advance SERC's web technologies to meet current and future needs.
This is a full-time (1.0 FTE) year round grant supported fully benefit eligible position.
Essential Job Functions - Responsibilities
Web Application Development:
- Recommend and implement the most effective technical solution for each assigned project. This may require custom application development, new enhancements to the content management system, and/or evaluating software products from commercial vendors and the open-source community.
- Investigate and troubleshoot web site and database technical problems.
- Work with Technical Director to refine, document and support SERC's technical infrastructure to ensure it operates reliably and efficiently. This includes:
- Preparing internal technical documentation on software and system installations
- Optimizing web services and servers through testing and monitoring.
- Evaluating and implementing processes and system configurations that ensure the security and reliability of the system.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- Provide and receive cross-training to ensure continuity of service.
- Track project progress to enable accurate project reporting.
- Update job knowledge by tracking emerging Internet technologies; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
Supervision Received and Exercised:
- The Web Developer is expected to work effectively with minimal supervision, although regular status reports to the Technical Director are required. This position may be expected to direct work of students or associates on an as needed basis.
- NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in technical aspects of web application development/customization in a Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills: from creating literate and illuminating comments within written code to clearly communicating complicated technical issues to non-technical co-workers.
- Strong analytical, technical, and organizational skills.
- Initiative, flexibility, ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently on loosely defined tasks as well as in close cooperation with a tight-knit team.
- Experience with highly available and highly scalable web application environments.
- Experience writing web applications interfaced with relational database technology (MySQL).
- Experience with Git, Subversion or another version control system
- Experience with writing HTML and CSS to create web sites that are sensitive to web standards, reflect accessible design and demonstrate excellent usability.
- Familiarity with UNIX system administration concepts and practices.
- Familiarity with development in cloud environments such as Amazon Web Services.