I joined SERC in December 2020 after completing my Masters of Science in Geoscience at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I bring over four years of experience as a practicing geoscience educator (intro-level geoscience, structural geology, geoscience field camp/field applications), and over seven years of communications, public relations, and marketing experience. My unique background allows me to wear many different hats including that of science communicator, of marketing professional, and of geoscience teacher.
My favorite kinds of work include:
- Advancing geoscience education by implementing Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and education technology
- Online marketing and science communication including social media
- Content production, copywriting, and editing
- Website design and construction
At SERC, I get to engage in all of the above types of work and more. I am currently supporting the following SERC partner projects:
- The IODP School of Rock webinar series of K-12 educators (Principle investigators: Sharon Cooper and Lisa White)
- Teaching with Investigation and Design in Science (TIDeS) (Principle investigators: Anne Egger and Anthony Carpi)
I am also a member of the Executive Office of the National Association for Geoscience Teachers (NAGT). In this role, I write NAGT's monthly e-newsletter NAGTNews and maintain NAGT's social media presence (check us out on Twitter and Facebook). You can view a complete and up-to-date list of my activities at SERC and NAGT on my SERC person page.
My days at SERC are never boring. My work here allows me to leverage my unique set of skills and experience while working with a talented and genuinely excellent group of people. If you have any questions, you can contact me at ajones3[at]carleton.edu.
University of Wisconsin - Madison, M.S. Geoscience 2020
Diablo Valley College, A.S. Geology 2017
University of the Pacific, B.A. Communication 2014