The 2018 NSTA Area Conference in Reno, Nevada
The NSTA Area Conference in Reno, Nevada is occurring from October 11 to 13, 2018. NESTA has four workshops plus a Share-a-Thon. All of these take place on Friday, October 12 in the Reno-Sparks Convention Center, F1/2/7/8.
- NESTA Session: Investigating the Mercalli Scale Through Lived Experience, 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM. Earthquakes are typically reported in Richter magnitude scale, which doesn't necessarily relate to the destruction shown in the media. The Mercalli Scale offers another alternative. Presenter(s): Richard Jones, Associate Professor Science Education, University of Hawaii-West Oahu
- NESTA Session: Ice Cores and Climate Change, 9:30 AM - 10:30 AM. Ice cores tell a story of climate change that you can share with your students. Come learn how to construct and model ice cores with simple materials.Presenter(s): Richard Jones, Associate Professor Science Education, University of Hawaii-West Oahu, Sarah Glancy, Lecturer, University of Hawaii-West Oahu, Carrie Tome, Lab Manager/Lecturer, University of Hawaii-West Oahu
- NESTA Shares: Going Beyond the Controversy: Promoting Critique, Evaluation, and Argument in Earth Science, 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM. Emphasis will be placed on instructional scaffolds for Earth science topics that help students critically evaluate connections between evidence and alternative scientific explanations. Presenter(s): Doug Lombardi, Assistant Professor, Science Education, Temple University
- NESTA Earth System Science Share-a-Thon, 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM. Join NESTA members and other education specialists as they share their favorite NGSS-congruent classroom activities. Check out the Share-a-Thon resources! Lots of free resources! Convener(s): Richard Jones, Associate Professor Science Education, University of Hawaii-West Oahu
- NESTA Shares: Explore Free Interactive Earth Science Resources, 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM. Come explore free classroom-ready resources for your Earth science or Living Earth courses, including free apps, activities, and videos! Presenter(s): Cheryl Ann Hollinger, Science Consultant, HHMI BioInteractive
- For more information about the conference go to NSTA's Reno, NV Area Conference Site.