The 2016 NSTA Area Conference in Portland, Oregon
The NSTA Area Conference in Portland, Oregon will be held from November 10 to 12, 2016. We have four workshops plus an Earth and Space Science Share-a-Thon on Thursday, November 10 all in the Oregon Convention Center, Oregon Ballroom 204.
- NESTA Shares: A Hands-On Approach to Creating an NGSS-Focused High School Earth and Space Science Course, 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM. Experience how teachers are trained to use a set of flashcards with NGSS performance expectations, disciplinary core ideas, science and engineering practices, and crosscutting concepts to redesign curricula.
- NESTA Shares: Earth and Space Science Share-a-Thon, 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM. Join more than 20 NESTA members and other education specialists as they share their favorite classroom activities. Lots of free handouts!
- NESTA Shares: Using the CLEAN Collection of Resources to Teach Energy and Climate, 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM. Bring your device and use the CLEAN collection of resources to start creating age-appropriate units that teach students about climate and energy.
- NESTA and CEETEP Share: Feeling the Earth Move: GPS and How It Teaches Us About Future Earthquakes, 3:30 PM - 4:30 PM. Join in for classroom activities about GPS-measured crustal motion. Learn how data analysis and quantitative skills are applied to the highly engaging topic of earthquakes. Free digital resources.
- NESTA and CEETEP Share: Surviving the Shake: Engineering Activities for Earthquake Resilience, 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM. Join in for hands-on activities and visualizations that feature engineering solutions to earthquake hazards. Applicable anywhere but especially focused on the Pacific Northwest. Free digital resources.
- For more information about the conference go to NSTA's OR Area Conference Site.