National Academies report Data Science for Undergraduates: Opportunities and Options
Software and Data
- EdGCM is an educational package of a climate model that students can run.
- The programming language R.
- Critical Algorithm Studies: a Reading List
- Wesleyan Quantitative Analysis Center
- Berkeley Data Science Modules Short explorations into data science that give students some instruction on the principles of data analysis, statistics, and computing.
- LACOL Q-LAB mini quantitative skills lessons developed by LACOL
- Online textbook: Introduction to Statistical Learning with applications in R (ISLR) It has an excellent pedagogical style and provides excellent datasets for training the readers in one of the most rigorous tools in Data science and analytics, R.
- Developing Student Understanding of Complex Systems, while written with a focus on geoscience, provides information that can be used across different disciplines.
- Climate Models Resources
- Teaching Computation in the Sciences including approaches to computational thinking, data analysis, modeling, and visualization
- Teach the Earth- Environmental Science teaching activites
- QuIRK: Quantitative inquiry, Reasoning, and Knowledge from Carleton, including example assignments, skills, courses, and assessments
- Data Journalism Workbench This entry level course teaches students how to answer questions with data in a transparent and reproducible manner, without the need to code. Students learn how to filter, group, create charts, fix common data formatting issues, and combine different data sets. You'll also learn about useful calculations like per capita rates, percentage change, and adjusting for inflation. Along the way, students work with data that journalists commonly use, including campaign finance, crime, housing, and environmental data.
- Introduction to R for Data Science Discover big data: work with airline data to learn the fundamentals of the R platform. This online course uses airline data to demonstrate key concepts involved in the analysis of big data. In this course you will learn how to use the R platform to manage data. The course serves as an introduction to the R software. It lays the foundation for anyone to begin studying data science and its applications, or to prepare learners to take more advanced courses related to data science, such as machine learning and computational statistics.
- Course on social network analysis, taught by anthropologist
- InTeGrate Courses and Modules - these extensively reviewed materials engage students in understanding the earth system as it intertwines with key societal issues. They challenge students to address interdisciplinary problems, engage in geoscientific habits of mind, work with authentic geoscience data and develop system thinking. The collection is freely available and ready to be adapted by undergraduate educators across a range of courses including: general education or majors courses in Earth-focused disciplines such as geoscience or environmental science, social science, engineering, and other sciences, as well as courses for interdisciplinary programs.
- Project EDDIE: Environmental Data-Driven Inquiry & Exploration provides a set of modules/activities that integrate environmental data into the classroom. Sister project, EDDIE Macrosystems, is also developing modules.
- Pedagogies in Action offers more than 50 modules on the what, why, and how to teach with effective pedagogic methods, including some example activities. Example modules:
- Direct Measurement Videos pairs short videos with classroom-ready activities into the introductory mechanics curriculum.