Working Group Synthesis (of 2.5 hours together)
- Pre-survey to understand the breadth of interests and goals, for both those able and unable to attend the workshop
- Day 1 (60 min) structured from survey results- goal to decide on working groups
- Developing and sharing teaching materials
- Research collaborations
- Critical analysis, ethics, and equity
- Day 2 (90 min) working group time- decide on a goal and next steps
Resulting Groups and Goals
Teaching materials: Gaps
- Goal: Identify key data science skills and information falling between curricular cracks at LACOL schools and provide existing resources to begin addressing them.
- Next step: Survey LACOL faculty to identify needs resources (perhaps through a SWOT analysis lens)
Teaching materials: Domain specific
- Goal: Facilitate sharing of data and skills resulting in a repository of software tutorials, commentary, wrappers, assignments, etc, that help teach students to use important tools, particularly those that are inclusive of students' varied pre-college opportunities and scaffold skills
- Next step: Identify software packages for which information could be gathered and reach out to those who can provide resources
Critical Data Science for Everyone (intro course)
- Goal: Develop consortium-wide critical data collection and analysis course. Course development would be critically thoughtful about tools, spaces, and pedagogy to create a course that would be supportive of all students, regardless of pre-college opportunities.
- Next step: Meet as a subcommittee to articulate goals
Building Databases for Research
- Goal: Exploring options for a general-purpose database and schema that could be used for research and teaching
- Next step: Design requirements, research existing solutions
Be on the lookout for a LACOL survey to help move these topics forward. Looking for others interested in contributing to these efforts.