Participating as a Pilot Site
As the project scales up to national availability we are interested in supporting a small group of Pilot Sites in initial adoption of the model. If you think this process would be a good match for your institution read on for more information about what would be involved and how to apply.About the Evaluation model
Expectations and Support Provided to Pilot Sites
In order to validate the Buffalo State evaluation model, it is essential that participating campuses adhere closely in Phase I to the model's methodology by following all the steps in the Buffalo State process, including the use of all the surveys with follow-up structured conversations between students and mentors. This will require a coordinator/director to serve as the evaluation administrator. That person will be responsible for tracking the progress of the student-mentor teams, sending reminders as needed to ensure that each team completes the evaluation process at appropriate times over the summer, reviewing reports to ensure completeness, and participating in regular communications with project team members. Participating campuses are expected to obtain IRB* approval prior to starting the evaluation. Each campus that joins the project will be provided up to $5000 to cover expenses related to its participation (more details about compensation will be provided after selection of campuses).
* While campus IRB procedures differ, this should be a straightforward process and campuses can use the existing Buffalo State surveys and methods on their IRB applications.
Pilot Site Required Features
- Strong interest in obtaining reliable program evaluation data.
- Minimum of 6-week summer undergraduate research program.
- Summer research program established for at least 3 years.
- Minimum of 6 student-mentor pairs participating in summer research program.
- Summer research program coordinator/director with at least 3 year's experience who will be responsible for tracking program implementation, including completion of evaluation steps following the Buffalo State model.
Pilot Site Preferred Features
- Summer undergraduate research program of 8-10 weeks.
- Coordinator/director of summer research program with more than 3 years experience.
- Summer research program established for more than 3 years.
- More than 6 student-mentor pairs participating in summer research program.
- Program that includes initial orientation for participants.
- Program that includes completion of progress and final reports by students and mentors.
- Campus support for undergraduate research (for students, mentors, and in the curriculum).
- Prior efforts to evaluate student learning outcomes.
We have selected only a few campuses for Phase I. There will be a series of virtual information/orientation sessions in the fall and a 1.5 day workshop in Buffalo in early January, 2017 to orient participating evaluation administrators/directors to the evaluation method and other aspects of the project.
Campuses interested in staying in touch with project activities, including potentially participating in a pilot in 2018 or beyond may do so by signing up to the email list:Join the email list to receive updates about the project