EvaluateUR is a strategy for obtaining an objective assessment of the value of undergraduate research (UR) by documenting student growth in critical academic and workforce-related knowledge and skills without placing a significant evaluation burden on students and research mentors.
EvaluateUR supports independent summer and academic year undergraduate research. It is the only program that provides:
- A detailed, reliable evaluation of your undergraduate research student outcomes
- An evaluation methodology that also enhances student learning and faculty mentorship
- Automatically calculated outcome statistics that can be used in reports
A one year subscription to EvaluateUR is only $500 and includes:
- Technical support to set up your campus site
- Webinars to explain the method
- Implementation advice
- Access to online resources including instructional videos
- Connection with a growing community of users to ask questions and share experiences
Benefits for Administrators, Faculty, and Students
- Helps students learn and practice the discipline of realistic self-assessment
- Introduced to a comprehensive list of competencies and skills
- Gain experience communicating in their discipline
- Gain confidence and greater self-awareness as they track their academic growth
- Strengthen their applications to graduate programs or their resumes
- Are able to make more consistent and reliable assessments of their research students' academic strengths and weaknesses
- Are helped to focus their mentoring efforts on specific areas where students may need extra guidance in order to become more independent researchers
- Compliments and enhances the research mentoring process
- Works for new and experienced mentors
- Documented experience for mentors of record (mentors can be post docs, graduate students, anybody that is primarily mentoring the student)
UR/REU Directors (Dashboard Administrator)
- Acquire reliable data to support campus assessments of UR (and, often, related funding requests)
- Obtain information that can support efforts to recruit and retain students
- Supports all academic disciplines
- Initial reflection where student has the opportunity to share their thoughts about research with their mentor
- Three assessments given before, mid-point, and at the end of the research
- Conversations after each assessment
- Reports that provide the students and mentors scores on the individual assessment components
- Automated messages and a dashboard provides easy tracking of completion of EvaluateUR
- All responses collected by the institution are readily available in .csv format for easy reporting, use and local data management.
- All students and mentors set up an account with username and password to ensure privacy. Site administrators have the ability to view student/mentor pairs as part of tracking the implementation of EvaluateUR.
- Data is stored in the EvaluateUR system only during the active summer research data collection process.
Tested and Proven Successful at Institutions Across the Country
- EvaluateUR has been pilot tested by undergraduate research programs at over 40 colleges and universities.
- The dissemination of EvaluateUR has been supported by an award from the National Science Foundation WIDER program.
- Read more about the evaluation of the impact of EvaluateUR.
Online Supporting Materials for EvaluateUR Adopters
For more information about EvaluateUR and how to include your undergraduate research program, please visit our Contact Us page.
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No.1347681 . Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.