An Innovative Approach to Student Learning
EvaluateUR is a strategy for obtaining an objective assessment of the value of undergraduate research (UR) by documenting student growth in critical academic and workforce-related knowledge and skills without placing a significant evaluation burden on students and research mentors.
Benefits for Administrators, Faculty, and Students
- Helps students learn and practice the discipline of realistic self-assessment
- Introduced to a comprehensive list of competencies and skills
- Gain experience communicating in their discipline
- Gain confidence and greater self-awareness as they track their academic growth
- Strengthen their applications to graduate programs or their resumes
- Are able to make more consistent and reliable assessments of their research students' academic strengths and weaknesses
- Are helped to focus their mentoring efforts on specific areas where students may need extra guidance in order to become more independent researchers
- Compliments and enhances the research mentoring process
- Works for new and experienced mentors
- Documented experience for mentors of record (mentors can be post docs, graduate students, anybody that is primarily mentoring the student)
UR/REU Directors (Dashboard Administrator)
- Acquire reliable data to support campus assessments of UR (and, often, related funding requests)
- Obtain information that can support efforts to recruit and retain students
- Supports all academic disciplines
- Initial reflection where student has the opportunity to share their thoughts about research with their mentor
- Three assessments given before, mid-point, and at the end of the research
- Conversations after each assessment
- Reports that provide the students and mentors scores on the individual assessment components
- Automated messages and a dashboard provides easy tracking of completion of EvaluateUR
- All responses collected by the institution are readily available in .csv format for easy reporting, use and local data management.
- All students and mentors set up an account with username and password to ensure privacy. Site administrators have the ability to view student/mentor pairs as part of tracking the implementation of EvaluateUR.
- Data is stored in the EvaluateUR system only during the active summer research data collection process.
Online Supporting Materials for EvaluateUR AdoptersContact Us page.