The Minnesota Study
All K-6 teachers are required to teach some component of Earth Science that will be dictated by the curriculum. In Minnesota, the majority of required Earth Science classes are taught at the 8th grade level, while Earth Science electives are offered at the high school as Earth Science or Environmental Science.
Interviews of K-12 Earth Science teachers were conducted in the fall and winter of 2004-2005.
Teachers from traditional public schools were the main focus of this study
Discussions were prompted using questions that fell under the following topics:
- Background and philosophy
- Successes in Teaching Earth Science
- Challenges in Teaching Earth Science
- Effectiveness and Suggestions for Preservice Training
- Effectiveness and Suggestions for Professional Development
Check out the Study Results.