Hydrospere For K-8 Teachers
Introduction to how the hydrosphere works emphasizing a descriptive approach. Includes river, groundwater, glacial, ocean, and shoreline systems and human interaction with those systems.
For Dr. Mattox's reflections on the course and its design, see Hydrosphere for K-8 Teachers: Role in the Program.
- Students should be able to increase his/her content knowledge about Earth Science and pass the State of Michigan certification exam.
- Students should be able to increase his/her confidence in presenting science in the classroom or field.
- Students should be able to increase his/her knowledge of methods used to teach inquiry-based science and assess learning.
- Students should be able to compile existing teaching resources and to develop new inquiry-based classroom activities.
- Students should be fluent in Michigan science standards and familiar with the MI Educational Assessment Program.
- Students will work in groups to write an original inquiry-based field lesson for upper elementary students that utilizes quantitative data collection and analysis and present the lesson to local teachers.
- Students will work individually to write a 2,000 word manuscript to submit to NSTA's Science and Children journal, specifically the Teaching Through Tradebooks feature.
Identification of Mountain Glacier Features (Microsoft Word 1.4MB May8 07)
Two written assignments (~30%)
Field trips (~15%)
References and Notes:
Textbook - Tarbuck and Lutgens' Earth.Hydrology web resources:
- United States Geological Survey - Water Resources
- Global Hydrology and Climate Center
- Center for Ecology and Hydrology (UK)
- The Hydrologist
- Groundwater Atlas of the US
- American Water Resources Association (more info)
- National Science Education Standards
- Michigan science standards
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admininistration
- Geological Society of America
- National Association of Geoscience Teachers
- National Earth Science Teachers Association (more info)
- National Science Foundation
- National Science Teachers Association (more info)