Does Gender Matter in My Intended Occupation?
In this module students examine economic opportunity as it exists in their intended career, focusing on the specific occupation that they intend to enter. They examine the following issues:
1. Are women and men equally represented in your intended occupation?
2. If employment disparities exist between men and women in employment in your intended occupation, is the gap narrowing?
3. What explains gender gaps and trends in employment and earnings?
In performing this analysis they learn how to calculate wage ratios, employment rates, as well as develop skills in creating and discussing graphic depictions of data.
2. Develop capacities to take pre-existing quantitative information and reconfigure it to provide greater depth of knowledge.
3. Identify the extent to which work opportunity (the number of jobs allocated) and compensation (earnings) can vary on the basis of gender.
4. Consider the factors that may account for gender disparities in employment and earnings.