The purpose of this assignment is to familiarize students with interpreting charts and graphs by using a credible source, the US Census.
- Using software to access and analyze census data
- Identifying independent and dependent variables
- Learning how to construct, read, and interpret bivariate tables displaying frequencies and percentages
- Identifying population trends over time
- To explore US Census data
Context for Use
This activity is used in an Introductory to Sociology class for undergraduate students. This activity uses Census data to highlight demographic and population trends.
Description and Teaching Materials
Teaching Notes and Tips
This activity uses the charts, rankings and maps on CensusScope.org. CensusScope is an easy-to-use tool to investigate U.S. trends using census data. There is an answer key for the activity that can be found under teaching materials.
Visit DataCounts! for assessment tools
References and Resources
Original Archive Module: