Example JiTT WarmUp Exercises
Results 31 - 40 of 54 matches
JiTT - The Big 5 Extinctions and Then Some part of Examples
1) What are the three leading ideas for the cause of the Permian mass extinction? What is the evidence for and against each? 2) Why are tropical forest species going extinct the quickest? 3) What are the ...
JiTT - When "Modern" Human Behavior Appeared in Early Hominids part of Examples
1) What is this controversy in regards to the emergence of "modern" human behavior? In your opinion, what do you think "modern" human behavior means? 2) How do beads symbolize modern human ...
JiTT - Exploring Geoarchaeology part of Examples
1) How is climate connected to geoarchaeology? Explain. 2) List as many "tools" you can think of that would be useful to a geoarchaeologist and describe why it would be of use. 3) Is geoarchaeological ...
JiTT - Life in the Sahara Desert part of Examples
1) What the Sahara always a desert? How do we know? (*NOTE: for this question, I want you to focus on the physical environment) 2) What modern-day animals can be found in the desert? How do they survive? 3) Why ...
JiTT - Threats to Biodiversity part of Examples
1) How is climate change a threat to biodiversity? 2) What are the impacts of pesticides on animals (including insects) and humans? 3) Can human population growth really impact biodiversity? Explain your viewpoint.
Symmetry and Tilings: An Exploration part of Examples
Students are directed to read through a Web-based tutorial on Symmetry and Tilings in the form of an short and colorful article entitled Tilings and Tesselations; afterwards, they answer several questions on tilings (tessellations), tiling terminology, types of symmetry (isometries), periodic tilings and Penrose tilings.
History of Pi and Buffon's Needle part of Examples
Students are directed to visit the MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive and read an extensive online article entitled History of Pi; in addition, they make use of an interactive simulation of Buffon's Needle experiment. Afterwards, they answer several questions on how mathematicians calculated approximations for the value of pi and on the formulas that they used; they also discuss and analyze Buffon's experiment.
Pythagorean Theorem Investigations part of Examples
Secondary Math Ed majors or Geometry students are directed to a Web site where they read through a rich and extensive collection of proofs of the Pythagorean Theorem, some accompanied by Java applets. Each student then selects two proofs to prepare to present to the class-a geometric proof and a visual proof-and writes a detailed outline of each proof. The student also indicates one additional proof that was of particular interest and the reason(s) for its selection.
JiTT - Darwin Garden part of Examples
1) Why does biodiversity in an ecosystem "matter"? 2) Describe Darwin's garden experiment and the significance of it. 3) So Darwin figured out the connection between biodiversity and ecosystem health ...
JiTT - Cambrian Explosion part of Examples
1) How do scientists come up with the number 2 billion years ago for the first branch of life? Explain the dating technique and information that is used. 2) Describe the evidence AGAINST the Cambrian Explosion. ...