Example JiTT WarmUp Exercises
Results 11 - 20 of 54 matches
Written Assignment Sessions part of MnSCU Partnership:PKAL-MnSCU Activities
Provide students an opportunity to read scientific literature, express understanding of scientific content and write a summary of the written work.
Earth and the Solar System part of Cutting Edge:Introductory Courses:Courses
This is high enrollment science course for non-science students in which we examine the evidence for how geological, biological, atmospheric, oceanic, and climatic processes work and interact here on Earth. We then ...
Earth Systems Science part of Cutting Edge:Course Design:Goals Database
Earth is studied in terms of how different physical and chemical systems interact with each other.
part of Examples
Students are directed to visit the MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive and read an extensive online article entitled History of Pi; in addition, they make use of an interactive simulation of Buffon's Needle experiment. Afterwards, they answer several questions on how mathematicians calculated approximations for the value of pi and on the formulas that they used; they also discuss and analyze Buffon's experiment.
Symmetry and Tilings: An Exploration part of Examples
Students are directed to read through a Web-based tutorial on Symmetry and Tilings in the form of an short and colorful article entitled Tilings and Tesselations; afterwards, they answer several questions on tilings (tessellations), tiling terminology, types of symmetry (isometries), periodic tilings and Penrose tilings.
JiTT - Threats to Biodiversity part of Examples
1) How is climate change a threat to biodiversity? 2) What are the impacts of pesticides on animals (including insects) and humans? 3) Can human population growth really impact biodiversity? Explain your viewpoint.
JiTT - The Legs of Snakes and Whales part of Examples
1) What are the adaptations needed to move from water to land (whether it be an arthropod or a "pioneering amphibian")? 2) Could snakes be linked to marine lizards? What your view and interpretations of ...
JiTT - Life on the Moon and Mars part of Examples
1) Based on "Microbial Colony in US..." article, what are Archaea? 2) From the same article, which of the following is NOT evidence to support life on Mars? a) Mars' subsurface groundwater system b) ...
JiTT - Darwin Garden part of Examples
1) Why does biodiversity in an ecosystem "matter"? 2) Describe Darwin's garden experiment and the significance of it. 3) So Darwin figured out the connection between biodiversity and ecosystem health ...
JiTT - Are Primates Worth Saving? part of Examples
1) What are some of the reasons extinction rates are so high for modern primates? 2) Why are some primates worth more dead than alive? Is there a way we as a society can change this? Explain your thoughts. 3) If ...