K-12 Education and Evaluation Associate
Science Education Resource Center at Carleton College
klarsen at carleton.edu
What I Do
The bulk of my work consists of project evaluation but I also maintain the K-12 educators' portal and support various web and professional development projects.
The evaluation projects I work on tend to involve mixed quantitative and qualitative methods. I am particularly interested in conducting interview studies and I am involved in all areas of this work- writing interview protocols, conducting interviews, analyzing qualitative data and generating reports of findings. I have conducted interview studies for a wide variety of projects. Some of the interview projects I have been involved in have focused on interviewing the following groups of individuals to address a wide range of goals:
- Geoscience and social science faculty
- to learn about typical teaching practices and barriers and motivators to using active learning strategies
- to develop profiles of exemplary teaching practices and experiences teaching at Minority Serving Institutions and Historically Black Institutions
- to characterize project management and leadership
- to gather insight on their experiences using newly developed curricular materials
- Geoscience students
- to present impressions of newly developed curricular materials to the authors
- to evaluate experiences in a 'teaching as learning' summer camp
Teaching with Data: Pathway to Quantitative Literacy in the Social Sciences
- Planning, conducting, and analyzing several concurrent interview studies involving program leadership social science faculty
- Analyzing portions of a large nationwide survey of social science faculty
- Aiding in the completion of a website usability study for the teachingwithdata.org website
- Performing a needs assessment resulting in identification of a website target audience and new website content. Some needs which were indicated were then met with the following website content:
Direct Measurement Videos
Website and professional development support
Website and professional development support that I am involved in tend to focus on STEM disciplines outside of the geosciences and projects geared toward K-12 pre- and in-service teachers. My interests in website work focus on:
- Presenting high-quality materials in an accessible and useful way for K-12 educators
- Supporting faculty who seek to improve or enhance the educational experience for pre-service teachers in training
- Assisting faculty in presenting their project work on websites such that the content is engaging, accessible, clear and concise
I developed the K-12 portal in 2010 with the goal of presenting and re-framing resources originally written for undergraduate faculty for K12 educators. The portal contains pedagogic approaches and teaching resources that are appropriate for K-8 and 9-12 educators.
The goal of this project is to present an entire course worth of existing online materials to 12th grade Earth Science educators. The materials presented would address the NGSS for Earth Science teaching and each standard in the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for Earth Science standards. I assisted project leadership by designing the website for maximum usability of teachers creating materials during workshops and independent work meetings as well as throughout piloting the materials in classrooms.
Professional Development Example
Support for professional development opportunities occurs from the time a workshop is conceived, through the planning and management of participants, and on to the actual event where technical support is given. One workshop I provided this support for was geared toward assisting faculty who teach pre-service teachers in addressing how the methods a geoscientist uses to seek information and form conclusions differs from other scientists.
Education & Background
- M.Ed. Educational Leadership and teacher licensure, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO, 2007. Thesis title: Using reflective journaling in physics class to increase student comprehension of physics content and nature of science concepts
- B.A. Biology, St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN, 2001
I began working for SERC in the fall of 2010. Before working for SERC, I was a middle and high school science teacher for 4 years. I taught Physics, Physical Science, Environmental Science, and Biology at levels ranging from general courses to AP/IB courses. Prior to teaching, I worked as an educational researcher for Colorado State University, a conservation educator in forestry for Colorado State University Extension, and as a water quality educator for Utah State University Extension. I enjoy learning new skills and am always thinking of ways to incorporate my background in education to my work.
Publications and Presentations
Ryker, Katherine, Iverson, Ellen, Bruckner, Monica Z., McConnell, David, Manduca, Cathryn, and Larsen, Krista. Connecting Beliefs to Action: How Geoscience Faculty Perceptions of Their Professional Environment Impact Teaching. GSA Abstract #249563 - 2014 GSA Annual Meeting in Vancouver, British Columbia (19–22 October 2014)
Monica Z Bruckner, O'Connell, K., McDaris, J., Kirk, K., Larsen, K., Kent, M., Manduca, C., Egger, A., Blockstein, D., Mogk, D., Taber, J. Infusing Sustainability Across Disciplines to Build Student Engagement. 2014 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, Calif., 15-19 Dec.
Larsen, K, Kirk, K B, Manduca, C A, Ledley, T S, Schmitt, L. The SERC K12 Educators Portal to Teaching Activities and Pedagogic Approaches. Abstract ED53A-0628 presented at 2013 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, Calif., 9-13 Dec. Abstract
Ellins, Katherine K., Serpa, Laura F., Riggs, Eric M., Pennington, Deana, Fox, Sean P., Larsen, Krista, Ledley, Tamara, Mosher, Sharon, Miller, Kate C., and Stocks, Eric. DIG Texas Earth and Space Science Instructional Blueprints. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, 2013 Vol. 45, No. 7, p. 65
Iverson, E.,McMartin, F., Morgan, G., Morrill, J., Larsen, K. Evaluating Faculty and Student Use of Digital Resources for Teaching and Learning. Evaluation 2012: American Evaluation Association Annual Meeting. Minneapolis, MN.
Bruckner, M. Z.; Larsen, K.; Buhr, S. M.; Kirk, K. B.; Ledley, T. S.; Manduca, C. A.; Mogk, D. W.; Savina, M. E.; Tewksbury, B. J. On-line Resources for Teaching Sustainability. American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting 2012, Abstract #ED53F-0947
O'Connell, Kristin, Monica Z. Bruckner, Susan M. Buhr, David C. Gosselin, Karin B. Kirk, Krista Larsen, Tamara Shapiro Ledley, Cathryn A. Manduca, David W. Mogk, and Katryn Wiese (2012) Sustainability and Climate Change Teaching Resources. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs. Vol. 44, No. 7, p. 371 Abstract
McDaris, John R., Larsen, Krista, Baer, Eric M.D., Bledgett, Robert H., Hodder, Jan, MacDonald, R. Heather, Van Der Hoeven, J. Katrien, Maier, Mark, Online Resources for Geoscience Instructors at Two-Year Colleges. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs. 2012 Vol. 44, No. 7, p.431 (Abstract)
Larsen, Krista, Peter H. Bohacek, Karin B. Kirk, Cathryn A. Manduca, Tamara Shapiro Ledley, and Lee Schmitt (2011). K-12 Science: A New SERC Portal to Classroom Activities and Pedagogic Guidance. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, Vol. 43, No. 5, p. 536. (Abstract)