To help you prepare for the workshop, we ask that you do several things in advance. Here's a list of those preparatory activities and their deadlines:
By May 18:
- Make your travel plans for the workshop. Please read through the logistics page prior to making arrangements for your travel - it gives information about arrival and departure times as well as details about obtaining plane tickets. If you are flying, you will need to know your flight information prior to registering.
- Register for the workshop.
By June 28:
We ask each participant in this workshop to write a short essay describing what you are currently doing (or would like to be doing) to improve the preparation of students in two-year colleges for geoscience degrees or careers. The essay could focus on career preparation, career resources, transfer or workforce programs, collaborations with employers, or other related activities. The purpose of this essay is to introduce your work to other participants. These essays will be posted on the workshop website. We expect your essay to be a strong piece of writing sharing a few important ideas that you think will be of high interest to the other participants, rather than a list of the different ways you work to improve the career preparation of students in 2YC.
We expect that your essay will give the overarching goal of your program, project, activity, or resources, and will address one or more of the following:
- How does it support or prepare students for their future degrees or careers?
- What are the strengths of its design and the most valuable aspect?
- What are the challenges of implementation?
- What is the evidence of its effectiveness?
Essays should be no longer than one page. You will be asked to read all of the essays prior to the workshop, so your colleagues will appreciate brevity and clarity. If there are references or websites that are important for your work, please list them at the end of the essay. Also, please proofread your essay, as we will not do that for you. Please include a descriptive title for your essay followed by your name, title, institution (including department, if relevant). Also, please name the file yourlastname_essay (e.g., Macdonald_essay).
- Submit a one-page essay describing what you do, or what you would like to be doing, to improve the preparation of students in two-year colleges for geoscience careers. The essays will be posted on the SAGE2YC website.
Prior to the workshop:
- Read all of the submitted essays (Acrobat (PDF) 1.6MB Jul11 12)
Following the Workshop
- File for your travel reimbursement if necessary.
College of William and Mary
Department of Geology
P.O. Box 8795
Williamsburg, VA 23187-8795