Friday, May 31, 2013
4:00-5:00 On-site check-in - University of Texas at Austin Institute for Geophysics Seminar Room
5:00-6:00 Reception and icebreaker activity
6:00-7:00 Dinner - Commons Learning Center Atrium, University of Texas at Austin J.J. Pickle Research Campus
7:00-7:25 Welcome, goals and introductions
7:25-8:15 Bridging the Gap: The Transitioning of 2YC Students to the 4YC System in the Geosciences (PowerPoint 9.1MB Jun5 13) - Joshua I. Villalobos, Associate Professor of Geology and District Coordinator, El Paso Community College
Saturday, June 1, 2013
8:00-8:15 Overview and logistics
8:15-8:40 Importance and challenges
- Why is this topic important for us and the profession?
- What are the challenges to improving career preparation on your campus? list of challenges (Microsoft Word 25kB Jun20 13)
8:40-10:00 Careers in the geosciences in Texas
- What jobs are there in Texas for students with associates and bachelors degrees?
- What knowledge, skills, and attitudes do our students need to succeed?
- Careers in the Geosciences (PowerPoint 14.8MB Jun5 13) - Robert (Bob) H. Blodgett, P.G., Austin Community College
- Employer Panel
- Heather Beatty, P.G., Senior Environmental Investigator,Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
presentation (PowerPoint 1.9MB Jun5 13)
- Stephen W. Grimes, Empirica - The Surface Logging Company
presentation (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 712kB Jun5 13)
- Paula Jo Lemonds, P.E., P.G., Water Resources Engineer, HDR Engineering
presentation (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 1MB Jun5 13)
- Raymond M. Slade, Jr., retired U.S. Geological Survey hydrologist and Adjunct Professor of Environmental Technology, Austin Community College
presentation (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 399kB Jun5 13)
- Chrissy Stover Wiederwohl, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Oceanography, Texas A&M University
presentation (PowerPoint 13.6MB Jun5 13)
10:00-10:15 Break10:15-11:00 Transfer bridge programs - What will work in Texas?
- What are strategies for connecting with transfer institutions?
- Is reverse transfer a possibility with Texas universities?
11:00-12:00 Strategies that work in Texas - gallery walk ideas (Microsoft Word 119kB Jun20 13)
- How can we prepare students for careers and transfer in our classes?
- How can we prepare students in extracurricular activities?
12:00-1:00 Lunch - idea sharing and discussion
- What can YOU do to better prepare students?
1:00-1:45 Texas 2YC workforce programs
- What are the types of geoscience workforce associates degree programs?
- How is a workforce program established and where are the graduates employed?
- Are aspects of workforce programs applicable to transfer programs?
- Overview - U.S. Geoscience Workforce Programs at 2YC - Key Elements and Types (PowerPoint 418kB Jun28 13) Robert (Bob) H. Blodgett, Austin Community College
- Faculty Panel
- Sean Moran, Geographic Information Systems program at Austin Community College
presentation (Acrobat (PDF) 863kB Jun5 13)
- George M. Staff, Environmental Science and Technology program at Austin Community College
presentation (PowerPoint 1.2MB Jun5 13)
1:45-2:20 Building a Texas support network
- How can 2YC geoscience faculty better support each other?
- How can we utilize organizations, such as the NAGT Geo2YC Division, Texas Community College Teachers Association, and NAGT Texas Section, to stay connected?
2:30-3:10 Creating an Action Plan (Note that action plans are not publicly available)- individual or small group activity
Instructional Slides (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 2.5MB May30 13) for how to create your Action Plan page.
- What do you plan to do and what is your goal?
- What are the steps and timeline for accomplishing your goal?
- What support will you need to accomplish this?
3:10-3:40 Addressing the challenges in Texas
- How can we best address our challenges?
3:40-4:00 Reflections, concluding remarks, and end-of-workshop survey
- Where do we go from here?
- What was the most and least valuable thing that you got from this workshop?