Friday, May 17
9:00-9:15 Welcome & Overview of the Workshop
What are the current challenges that exist within our respective fields in terms of a well-trained workforce. For example:
- What challenges do academic institutions see for students getting jobs?
- What issues do employers see in availability of qualified applicants/employees?
9:45-10:00 - Break
10:00-11:30 - Sharing/Short Presentations
- By participants from the work force - Individuals to spend ~5-7 min describing their job/company. What sort of projects do they work on? What types of skills do they look for in potential employees? What types of opportunities exist for interns or volunteers? What can academic institutions do for you?
11:30-11:45 - Q&A, Break
11:45-12:30 - Recap and form Working Groups
- What are strategies to address these issues/concerns?
12:30-1:30 Lunch and Networking
1:30-2:30 -Strategies for Implementing Change in and Beyond the Classroom
- Working groups continue drafting proposal/recommendations
2:30-3:00 - Sharing Ideas
3:00-3:30 - Wrap up and Summary
- Where do we go from here?