Program: Geoscience Careers for Today's 2YC Students
Friday, May 17
Workshop will be held at Mt. San Antonio College, 1100 N Grand Ave., Walnut, CA 91789. We will be meeting in building 7, room 1104.
8:30 AM: Continental Breakfast and Registration
Please park in campus lot B3 and pick up a temporary parking pass before going to building 7.
9:00 AM: Welcome and Introductions
SERC 2YC Los Angeles workshop: introduction (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 114kB Jul7 13)
Elizabeth Nagy-Shadman, Pasadena City College
Becca Walker, Mt. San Antonio College
9:30-11:30 AM: Panel Presentations
A sequence of short presentations about career, internship, scholarship, and mentoring opportunities for 2YC geoscience students, followed by discussion.
- Which opportunities are available to 2YC students?
- Which opportunities are available for students with 2-year degrees?
- Which courses, content knowledge, and skills do our students need to enter the geoscience workforce?
- What can we do to prepare our students for geoscience careers?
- Richard Alvidrez, Director of Jet Propulsion Laboratory SIRI program (Geosciences at JPL (Acrobat (PDF) 5.6MB May16 13))
- Robert DeGroot, Southern California Earthquake Center
- Anna Garcia, Mojave Water Agency (Career Opportunities for 2YC Students: Garcia (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 5.7MB Jul7 13))
- Jeffrey Keaton, Association of Environmental and Engineering Geologists and AMEC (Keaton presentation (Acrobat (PDF) 40.9MB May17 13))
- Jeff Knott, California State University at Fullerton (Knott presentation: CSUF geology program (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 1.3MB May17 13))
- Gustavo Ortega, Caltrans (Career Opportunities for 2YC Students: Ortega (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 44MB Jul7 13))
11:30 AM-12:15 PM: Lunch
12:15-1:15 PM: Meet the panelists
An opportunity to have conversations with individual panelists about opportunities for your students. Panelists will have materials available.
1:15-1:45 PM: Work time on action plans
Each workshop participant will formulate a plan of how they will use what he/she has learned at the workshop in his/her teaching and advising. These action plans will be uploaded to the workshop webpage.
1:45-2:00 PM: Workshop evaluations