Wednesday, March 20
First day of Western Alaska interdisciplinary Science Conference
8:30-9:00 Opening remarks and introductions
9:00-10:00 Distance education delivery methods for introductory science courses including labs (online, mailed and intensives)
Speakers: Claudia Ihl, Todd Radenbaugh, Dan Solie, Tara Borland
- Distance labs currently used at CRCD.
- What are the best practices for distance education and eLearning science courses?
- How can we teach science to rural Alaskans better?
10:15-12:00 Innovative learning techniques
- Best Distance education practices for teaching science.
- Where are the gaps, what are we doing right, how can we improve?
12:00-1:00 Lunch break
1:00-2:00 2 year to 4 year college transition
Speakers: Pete Pinney, Christa Mulder, Larry Duffy, Bob Metcalf
- How do we develop a plan to transfer students from 2YC to 4YC?
- Is there a role for graduate students in rural Alaska?
2:00-3:15 Workforce development in rural AK
- Roll of Rural Campuses in workforce development or 2YC to 4YC, can we do both well?
- What occupations do rural Alaskan's want and how do you meet those needs?
- How to best meet the workforce development needs of rural students? e.g. Occupational endorsements, certificates or other educational programs
- How to improve student recruitment and retetion.
3:30-4:00 Developing a community of rural AK college educators
- How is the Fairbanks campus connected to the rural campuses?
- Where are the disconnects? How can we do better?
- What are the rolls of the Fairbanks science departments, EPSCoR and RAP to help rural students?
- Define the goals for the CRCD Science Department.
4:00-5:00 Student support services needed for successful rural science programs
- How to advise and prepare students to succeed in science courses, occupational endorsements and degrees
- Providing lab assistance to students
- Innovative ways to have students helping students
5:00-5:25 Wrap-up Session
- Next-step - delivering products to improve rural science education
5:25-5:30 Exit Survey
Thursday and Friday, March 21 -22
See WAISC schedule