Professional Society Career Resources
Compiled by Bob Blodgett, Austin Community College.
The list below provides pointers to the career information available from Professional Societies from across the geosciences. Almost all of these pages have information about what types of careers are available in particular disciplines, profiles of people who are doing those kinds of jobs, job placement opportunities. If you have a suggestion for an organization or resource to add to this list, please email John McDaris (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you are looking for a good introduction to the geoscience workforce, start with the Career Cornerstone Center. Their site has a very accessible broad description of careers in the geosciences as well as average salaries in particular categories (note that the salary numbers are averages over all types of degrees, not just AA/AS). They provide comparisons to other disciplines.
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Career Center can help to situate information about geoscience careers in the larger spectrum of science careers. AAAS programs provide information, training, and opportunities for collaboration among scientists, policy makers, professional organizations, non-profits, government, and industries regardless of geographic origin or career stage.
Jump Down to Women and Minorities - Professional Organizations
Geoscience Career Web Pages
- Association of Environmental & Engineering Geologists
- Vocational Career Center: Environmental Career Guide
Geospatial Science and Technology Ground Water
- Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography
- Centers for Ocean Sciences Education Excellence (COSEE)
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- Sea Grant Marine Careers
- The Oceanography Society
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Petroleum Geology Photogrammetry Remote Sensing
- American Association of Blacks in Energy
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society
- American Meteorological Society Board of Women and Minorities
- Association for Women Geoscientists
- Association for Women in Science
- Institute for Broadening Participation
- International Advisory for Geoscience Diversity
- MAES – Latinos in Science and Engineering
- MPOWIR - Mentoring Physical Oceanography Women to Increase Retention
- National Association of Black Geologists and Geophysicists
- National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science
- Society of African-American Marine and Environmental Scientists
- Women @ NASA
- ACCESS STEM - The Alliance for Students with Disabilities in Science, Engineering and Mathematics
- Multiculturalism in the Aquatic Sciences