Call for Proposals to Offer Local Workshops Exploring Best Practices for Preparing and Advancing Two-year College Students for Geoscience Careers
- share information about preparing students in two-year colleges for geoscience degrees and careers
- provide information about local geoscience employment opportunities
- explore best practices for accomplishing this at the local level
- foster development of a local network of faculty interested in 2YC geoscience education.
The SAGE 2YC project will provide some financial support for the workshop and offer assistance with workshop design and logistics.
Why lead a workshop?
Designing and conducting a professional development workshop can be an exciting, enriching and rewarding experience. Interaction with other professionals in planning the workshop, and with participants during the workshop, expands one's network of colleagues who can be called on for help and support. Leading a workshop can be enjoyable and intellectually stimulating. A workshop leader need not be an expert on the topic – only a facilitator to organize and conduct the activity. Finally, a workshop can increase the visibility and support for the geosciences within your college and the community. By leading a workshop you can establish closer ties with your administration, nearby 4-year institutions, and local geoscience employers, and help improve the preparation of 2YC students for geoscience degrees and careers.
How will SAGE 2YC support the local workshop?
Design and logistics support
The leaders of SAGE 2YC will provide support in planning and conducting your workshop. On the Cutting Edge has Resources for Workshop Leaders that will help you design the workshop and develop a timeline for planning and conducting a workshop. Working with a colleague will allow you to share tasks and responsibilities. SAGE 2YC staff will coordinate with the Geo2YC Division of the National Association of Geoscience Teachers to provide the names and contact information of 2YC geoscience faculty in your area. The SAGE 2YC Project will also provide online templates for workshop registration and evaluation.
To help facilitate the workshop, the SAGE 2YC Project will reimburse the team for up to $500 workshop expenses, such as non-alcoholic drinks and snacks for participants, office supplies, mailing expenses and room-use/audiovisual fees. Upon completion of the workshop and submission of the workshop report, each of the two team leaders will receive a stipend of $500.
Interested? Here are the steps:
- Find a colleague to work with.
- Submit a proposal to the SAGE 2YC team by January 18, 2013
- Plan workshop and recruit participants with help from the SAGE 2YC team
- Create a website for your workshop (we will help you with this)
- Run the workshop
- After the workshop submit a final report of the accomplishments and lessons learned from the workshop, along with receipts and other documentation for reimbursement.