Questions for Further Exploration
Open-ended questions allow students to explore scientifically significant questions while focusing on their own interests. Here are a few general questions that are important to understanding the impacts of resource development on Native American lands. These are self-guided exercises for high school or undergraduate students, and could be applied in any earth science class, environmental class or in Native American studies.
- How has uranium mining affected the Navajo?
- How has gold mining affected the Gros Ventre and the Assiniboine tribes of the Fort Belknap Reservation?
- How has coal bed methane affected the Crow?
- How have water resource issues affected the Nez Perce?
- How has gold mining affected the Lakota Sioux tribe of the Pine Ridge Reservation?
- Describe the current issues the Aleuts of the Pribilof Islands are dealing with.