You can also browse all Cretaceous topics.
Cretaceous Economic Resources
Cretaceous Petroleum GeologyResources providing information about several aspects of Cretaceous petroleum.
- Cretaceous References: Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana. This site supplies a comprehensive list of references relevant to Cretaceous stratigraphy, paleogeography, tectonics and petroleum exploration in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Montana. The references range from the 1930's to the 1990's cover a variety of specific topics. Additional information and references are available on the site's home page under resources. ( This site may be offline. )
- Map and Digital Database of Sedimentary Basins and Indications of Petroleum in the Central Alaska Province. This USGS site provides brief discussions of several Alaskan sedimentary basins and structural terranes. This map and the accompanying digital database show sedimentary basins (Kirschner, 1988) and reported occurrences of petroleum in wells and natural seeps in central Alaska. The map and database were prepared for use in a U.S. Geological Survey assessment of undiscovered petroleum resources. (more info)
- Seminoe Road, WY Gas Development Project Environmental Impact Statement. This report is an official environmental impact statement drafted for a proposed natural gas development project in Wyoming. The document describes the proposed project, geology of the proposed gas field, the roles of each party involved in the project and preliminary environmental concerns. Information about the Cretaceous and Tertiary strata and structures that influence gas recovery and environmental influence is provided. (more info)
Cretaceous Coal and Coalbed MethaneResources providing information about Cretaceous coal energy resources and coalbed methane resources.
- Coalbed Methane Photo Gallery. This site provides a visual guide to the geology, natural occurrence and production of coalbed methane. An array of photos with brief explanations is provided. Photos include bituminous coal, a methane gas seep, coal-bearing Cretaceous strata, structurally thickened, faulted and folded coal and well site equipment. (more info)
- Coalbed Methane Potential of the Denver Basin, CO. Late Cretaceous and Tertiary coals within the Denver Basin show potential for coalbed methane energy resources. This site discusses the historic efforts to take advantage of these low-grade, methane-producing coals as well as some concerns and cautions for exploration in this area. Links to additional information and professional reports concerning coalbed methane and the Denver Basin are also provided. (more info)
- Coalbed Methane in Wyoming. Coalbed methane (CH4) is a natural gas and valuable energy resource that occurs in coal beds. This site, hosted by an energy development corporation, explains the geology and stratigraphy of Wyoming in the context of the formation of coalbed methane and its occurrence in Wyoming. Maps, cross sections, stratigraphic columns and fence diagrams are provided to explain Cretaceous and Tertiary coalbed methane-plays in Wyoming. (more info)
- Student-Based Facies Analysis and Determination of Coal and Coalbed Methane Resources of Cretaceous Rocks, Northeastern Arizona. The goal of this site is to create an exemplar for minority group involvement in geologic research projects. It describes a geology project that Hopi and Navajo people at all career levels participated in, provides a visual guide to the study area and the reference to a professional report ensuing from data collected by participants. ( This site is likely no longer available. )
Guided student activity: Coalbed methane: economic boon or environmental boondoggle?