Rainfall and Elevation: A Charting and Critical Thinking Exercise
This Computer Technology lab is designed to engage students in the process of organizing and presenting data in a visual way so that they can then summarize in writing their conclusions about the relationships between the data.
- ability to create a chart from non-contiguous data spreadsheet
- label chart data to accurately describe the content
- copy data between programs
- describe in writing what the charts portray
Context for Use
Description and Teaching Materials
Instruction handout, spreadsheet data file, spreadsheet program capable of creating scatter charts and a word processing program.
- Description of the steps students follow to complete this assignment. Assignment Sheet Handout (Microsoft Word 28kB May22 08)
- Excel(2003)file containing the latitude, longitude, elevations, and montly and yearly rainfall averages for 46 selected towns, cities or loctions in the state of New Hampshire.NH Precipitation Data - Metric (Excel 23kB May21 08)
Teaching Notes and Tips
If you are willing to spend the time, a data sheet can be prepared for any geographical area from the data available at http://www.worldclimate.com; compiled by Robert Hoare.