Meet the Scientists
Homework 3- Welcome to Earth and Mars
Marjorie A. Chan PhD and Julia Kahmann-Robinson PhD, University of Utah Department of Geology and Geophysics
Navigate to http://serc.carleton.edu/marsforearthlings/index.html and click on "Meet the Scientist". Answer the following questions:
Watch all the short clips (only 2 mins. each or less).
Note: Answers are in brackets
1. How is this group of profiled scientists DIVERSE?
[Different ages, genders, and ethnicities from a variety of institutions]
2. Who are the scientists that study Mars?Choose 5 scientists to profile.
List the scientists' last name and the institution each scientist is associated with. Describe the goals of their research.
Name, Institution, Research
a. [Abigail Alwood, NASA JPL, Oldest life on Mars]
b. [Alfred McEwen, U of Arizona/HiRISE, Mars imaging]
c. [Bethany Ehlmann, CalTech/JPL, Planetary surface, mineralogy of Mars]
d. [Brian Hynek, UColorado-Boulder, Geology, hydrologic, climate of Mars]
e. [Chris Okubo, Center for Astro-Madrid, Impact crater experiments]
f. [Goro Komatsu, IRSPS Italy, Earth and planetary science]
g. [Jack Farmer, ASU, Astrobiology, geomicrobiology]
h. [Jeff Andrews-Hanna, Colorado School of Mines, Geophysics & geodynamics of planets]
j. [Jens Ormo, Center for Astro-Madrid, Impact crater geology & experiments]
k. [Laura Kerber, Laboratoire de Meteorologie Dynamique, France, Ancient volcanoes & planetary atmos.]
l. [Lynn Rothschild, NASA Ames, Evolutionary & synthetic biology, extremophiles]
m. [Mohit Daswani, Open Univ, UK, Mineralogy and geochem of Mars meteorites]
n. [Sally Potter, U of Utah, Sedimentology, diagenesis analogs to Mars]
o. [Victor Baker, U of Arizona, History of water on Mars and Earth]
3. What is interesting and relevant? Choose two of your more favorite scientists from Meet the Scientists.
· What is the most interesting fact (or rumor) you can find when you google their name?
· In your opinion, is their research relevant (use a scale from 1-10 with 10 being extremely relevant)? Give a brief statement to justify your answer.
· Can their research be helpful in other fields? If so give example(s).
· If you were an investor/ philanthropist/ government official would you fund the scientist's research? What would you change or applaud in their research?