National Association of Biology Teachers4300 members
Education staff lead: Jaclyn Reeves-Pepin, email@example.com
30% of NABT members teach at the undergraduate level, and we are dedicated supporting these educators and improving learning outcomes for their students.
As a professional society for teachers, all of our programs focus on education initiatives. With over 30% of our membership teaching at the undergraduate level, NABT has had major influence on the major reform efforts at that level, including implementing the strategies in the "Vision and Change in Undergraduate Biology Education" report and being involved in the Introductory Biology Project, or NABT initiatives. NABT members are involved in college readiness (we're very impactful at the K-12 level as well), matriculation from two-year to four-year, etc.
Premier Contribution to Faculty Development
Each year, NABT hosts a Professional Development Conference for approximately 1000 educators, of which almost 50% of the attendees are from undergraduate institutions. The conference features over 200 workshops, sessions, speakers, and networking events.
For the last five years, NABT has conducted a full-day Faculty Professional Development Summit during the conference that is specifically designed for two-year and four-year educators. 80 to 100 people attend and themes have included deepening content knowledge, assessment, and most recently, implementing the Vision and Change recommendations. The in-person interactions that occur during the Faculty Summit serve as a launch point for a number of different projects throughout the year.
Additional Undergraduate Education Activities of NABT
- The NABT journal "The American Biology Teacher," is peer reviewed and features a variety of article types that are relevant to the biology teaching professional. In addition to classroom application and content updates, the journal features articles on research on learning, thus giving our members an outlet to publish their scholarly work.
- NABT supports a refereed Biology Education Research Symposium during the NABT Conference.
- NABT features over 100 Undergraduate Biology Posters at the NABT Conference.
- NABT frequently works with cross-disciplinary partners on undergraduate education projects.
- NABT has three awards that recognize educators at the two- and four- year levels in both their teaching practice and education research.
- The two-year and four-year cohorts of NABT work together on initiatives that support biology education at the undergraduate level by writing position statements, and making recommendations for evaluating four year biology programs. NABT has recently instituted a task force to explore formalizing recommendations for the Introductory Biology experience at the undergraduate level.