Search Starting Point
This pages allows you to search across all of the Starting Point site. We also have a similar search limited to teaching activities.Help
Areas of the Site
- 15 matches General/Other
- Assessment 21 matches
- Campus Living Laboratory 14 matches
- ConcepTests 338 matches
- Conceptual Models 8 matches
- Cooperative Learning 59 matches
- Earth History Approach 46 matches
- Experience-Based Environmental Projects 19 matches
- Field Labs 36 matches
- First Day of Class 65 matches
- Gallery Walks 37 matches
- Games 34 matches
- Indoor Labs 25 matches
- Interactive Lecture Demonstrations 77 matches
- Interactive Lectures 113 matches
- Investigative Case Based Learning 35 matches
- Jigsaws 10 matches
- Just in Time Teaching 75 matches
- Mathematical and Statistical Models 44 matches
- Models 12 matches
- Peer Review 28 matches
- Role Playing 43 matches
- Service Learning 41 matches
- Socratic Questioning 23 matches
- Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum 58 matches
- Studio Teaching in the Geosciences 14 matches
- Teaching Urban Students 11 matches
- Teaching with Data 70 matches
- Teaching with GIS 21 matches
- Teaching with Google Earth 19 matches
- Teaching with Visualizations 19 matches
- Undergraduate Research 48 matches
- Using an Earth System Approach 62 matches
Results 31 - 40 of 1540 matches
What is the Volume of the 1992 Eruption of Cerro Negro Volcano, Nicaragua? part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students build a spreadsheet to calculate the volume a tephra deposit using an exponential-thinning model.
What is the Relationship between Lava Flow Length and Effusion Rate at Mt Etna? part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students use Excel to determine a log-log relationship for flow length vs effusion rate and compare it with a theoretical expression for the maximum flow length.
What is the Volume of a Debris Flow? part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students build a spreadsheet to estimate the volume of volcanic deposits using map, thickness and high-water mark data from the 2005 Panabaj debris flow (Guatemala).
How Does Surface Deformation at an Active Volcano Relate to Pressure and Volume Change in the Magma Chamber? part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students build a spreadsheet to examine and apply the Mogi model for horizontal and vertical surface displacement vs. depth and pressure conditions in the magma chamber.
The Boxing Day Tsunami part of Teaching with Google Earth:Examples
Undergraduate students map data from the National Geophysical Data Center and the United States Geological Survey on Google Earth and study visualizations in order to explore the causes and effects of the Tsunami ...
Northwest Passage part of Teaching with Google Earth:Examples
An investigation of changes in polar regions using Google Earth.
Energy Consumption Rates across the USA and the World part of Teaching with Google Earth:Examples
A investigation of differences in rates and categories of energy use between countries and US states
Making Paints from Minerals part of Teaching Urban Students:Examples
Students prepare simple gouache paints using common minerals that are typically of sedimentary origin (e.g., hematite, limonite, kaolinite, glauconite), and use these paints to produce artifacts that are ...
Conics and Reflection part of Mathematical and Statistical Models:Mathematical and Statistical Models Examples
This is a discovery bases lesson on the reflective properties of the conics: parabolas, ellipses, and hyperbolas. -
Searching Genbank part of Teaching with Data:Examples
An active problem-based assignment that uses the Genbank database to teach the basics of molecular biology and molecular evolution -