Search Starting Point
This pages allows you to search across all of the Starting Point site. We also have a similar search limited to teaching activities.Help
Areas of the Site
- 15 matches General/Other
- Assessment 22 matches
- Campus Living Laboratory 14 matches
- ConcepTests 338 matches
- Conceptual Models 8 matches
- Cooperative Learning 59 matches
- Earth History Approach 46 matches
- Experience-Based Environmental Projects 19 matches
- Field Labs 36 matches
- First Day of Class 65 matches
- Gallery Walks 37 matches
- Games 34 matches
- Indoor Labs 25 matches
- Interactive Lecture Demonstrations 76 matches
- Interactive Lectures 113 matches
- Investigative Case Based Learning 35 matches
- Jigsaws 10 matches
- Just in Time Teaching 75 matches
- Mathematical and Statistical Models 44 matches
- Models 12 matches
- Peer Review 28 matches
- Role Playing 44 matches
- Service Learning 41 matches
- Socratic Questioning 23 matches
- Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum 58 matches
- Studio Teaching in the Geosciences 14 matches
- Teaching Urban Students 11 matches
- Teaching with Data 70 matches
- Teaching with GIS 21 matches
- Teaching with Google Earth 19 matches
- Teaching with Visualizations 19 matches
- Undergraduate Research 48 matches
- Using an Earth System Approach 62 matches
Results 21 - 30 of 1541 matches
How Do We Estimate Magma Viscosity? part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students build a spreadsheet to examine how magma viscosity varies with temperature, fraction of crystals, and water content using the non-Arrhenian VFT model.
What is the Volume of the 1992 Eruption of Cerro Negro Volcano, Nicaragua? part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students build a spreadsheet to calculate the volume a tephra deposit using an exponential-thinning model.
Porosity and Permeability of Magmas part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students build a spreadsheet for an iterative calculation to find volume of bubbles and hence porosity, permeability and gas escape as a function of depth.
What is the Volume of a Debris Flow? part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students build a spreadsheet to estimate the volume of volcanic deposits using map, thickness and high-water mark data from the 2005 Panabaj debris flow (Guatemala).
What is the Relationship between Lava Flow Length and Effusion Rate at Mt Etna? part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students use Excel to determine a log-log relationship for flow length vs effusion rate and compare it with a theoretical expression for the maximum flow length.
Northwest Passage part of Teaching with Google Earth:Examples
An investigation of changes in polar regions using Google Earth.
Energy Consumption Rates across the USA and the World part of Teaching with Google Earth:Examples
A investigation of differences in rates and categories of energy use between countries and US states
Making Paints from Minerals part of Teaching Urban Students:Examples
Students prepare simple gouache paints using common minerals that are typically of sedimentary origin (e.g., hematite, limonite, kaolinite, glauconite), and use these paints to produce artifacts that are ...
2004 Asian Earthquake and Tsunami Disaster Project part of Cooperative Learning:Examples
Students are employees of a unit of the United Nations responsible for coordinating disaster relief after a major disaster (the 2004 Asian Earthquake and Tsunami) occurs. The agency needs to understand the ...
What Should We Do About Global Warming? part of Role Playing:Examples
This module contains an 8-lesson curriculum to study greenhouse gases and global warming using data and visualizations. The students will summarize the issue in a mock debate or a presentation. -
See the activity page for details.