Search Starting Point
This pages allows you to search across all of the Starting Point site. We also have a similar search limited to teaching activities.Help
Areas of the Site
- 15 matches General/Other
- Assessment 21 matches
- Campus-Based Learning 14 matches
- ConcepTests 334 matches
- Conceptual Models 8 matches
- Cooperative Learning 59 matches
- Earth History Approach 46 matches
- Experience-Based Environmental Projects 19 matches
- Field Labs 36 matches
- First Day of Class 65 matches
- Gallery Walks 37 matches
- Games 34 matches
- Indoor Labs 25 matches
- Interactive Lecture Demonstrations 77 matches
- Interactive Lectures 113 matches
- Investigative Case Based Learning 35 matches
- Jigsaws 10 matches
- Just in Time Teaching 75 matches
- Mathematical and Statistical Models 44 matches
- Models 12 matches
- Peer Review 28 matches
- Role Playing 43 matches
- Service Learning 41 matches
- Socratic Questioning 23 matches
- Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum 58 matches
- Studio Teaching in the Geosciences 14 matches
- Teaching Urban Students 11 matches
- Teaching with Data 70 matches
- Teaching with GIS 21 matches
- Teaching with Google Earth 19 matches
- Teaching with Visualizations 19 matches
- Undergraduate Research 48 matches
- Using an Earth System Approach 62 matches
Results 21 - 30 of 1536 matches
Metamorphic Rocks Lab part of Indoor Labs:Examples
Students are introduced to the processes involved in metamorphism through hands-on study of rock samples. They examine different metamorphic paths, protoliths, textures, and minerals. -
US Historical Climate: Excel Statistical part of Mathematical and Statistical Models:Mathematical and Statistical Models Examples
Students import US Historical Climate Network mean temperature data into Excel from a station of their choice and use Excel for statistical calculations, graphing, and linear trend estimates. -
Vostok Ice Core: Excel (Mac or PC) part of Mathematical and Statistical Models:Mathematical and Statistical Models Examples
Students use Excel to graph and analyze Vostok ice core data (160,000 years of Ice core data from Vostok Station). Data includes ice age, ice depth, carbon dioxide, methane, dust, and deuterium isotope relative ...
Learn more about this review process.
See the activity page for details.
Carbon Dioxide Exercise part of Interactive Lectures:Examples
Students work in groups, plotting carbon dioxide concentrations over time on overheads and estimating the rate of change over five years. -
The Modern Atmospheric CO2 Record part of Teaching with Data:Examples
Students compare carbon dioxide (CO2) data from Mauna Loa Observatory, Barrow (Alaska), and the South Pole over the past 40 years to help them better understand what controls atmospheric CO2. -
See the activity page for details.
Determining the Geologic History of Rocks from a Gravel Deposit part of Cooperative Learning:Examples
Gravels deposited as a result of continental glaciation are used to teach introductory-level earth-science students the application of the scientific method in a cooperative learning mode which utilizes hands-on, ...
Geologic Mapping I part of Field Labs:Field Lab Examples
Students complete a geologic map of a small area. -
Bubbles in Magmas part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students build a spreadsheet and apply the ideal gas law to model the velocity of a bubble rising in a viscous magma.
Porosity and Permeability of Magmas part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students build a spreadsheet for an iterative calculation to find volume of bubbles and hence porosity, permeability and gas escape as a function of depth.
What is the Volume of the 1992 Eruption of Cerro Negro Volcano, Nicaragua? part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students build a spreadsheet to calculate the volume a tephra deposit using an exponential-thinning model.