Search Starting Point
This pages allows you to search across all of the Starting Point site. We also have a similar search limited to teaching activities.
Areas of the Site
- 15 matches General/Other
- Assessment 21 matches
- Campus-Based Learning 14 matches
- ConcepTests 334 matches
- Conceptual Models 8 matches
- Cooperative Learning 59 matches
- Earth History Approach 46 matches
- Experience-Based Environmental Projects 19 matches
- Field Labs 36 matches
- First Day of Class 65 matches
- Gallery Walks 36 matches
- Games 34 matches
- Indoor Labs 25 matches
- Interactive Lecture Demonstrations 77 matches
- Interactive Lectures 113 matches
- Investigative Case Based Learning 35 matches
- Jigsaws 10 matches
- Just in Time Teaching 75 matches
- Mathematical and Statistical Models 44 matches
- Models 12 matches
- Peer Review 28 matches
- Role Playing 43 matches
- Service Learning 41 matches
- Socratic Questioning 23 matches
- Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum 58 matches
- Studio Teaching in the Geosciences 14 matches
- Teaching Urban Students 11 matches
- Teaching with Data 70 matches
- Teaching with GIS 21 matches
- Teaching with Google Earth 19 matches
- Teaching with Visualizations 19 matches
- Undergraduate Research 47 matches
- Using an Earth System Approach 61 matches
Results 21 - 30 of 1533 matches
What is the Volume of the 1992 Eruption of Cerro Negro Volcano, Nicaragua? part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students build a spreadsheet to calculate the volume a tephra deposit using an exponential-thinning model.
What is the Relationship between Lava Flow Length and Effusion Rate at Mt Etna? part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students use Excel to determine a log-log relationship for flow length vs effusion rate and compare it with a theoretical expression for the maximum flow length.
How Does Surface Deformation at an Active Volcano Relate to Pressure and Volume Change in the Magma Chamber? part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students build a spreadsheet to examine and apply the Mogi model for horizontal and vertical surface displacement vs. depth and pressure conditions in the magma chamber.
Energy Consumption Rates across the USA and the World part of Teaching with Google Earth:Examples
A investigation of differences in rates and categories of energy use between countries and US states
US Historical Climate: Excel Statistical part of Mathematical and Statistical Models:Mathematical and Statistical Models Examples
Students import US Historical Climate Network mean temperature data into Excel from a station of their choice and use Excel for statistical calculations, graphing, and linear trend estimates. -
The Boxing Day Tsunami part of Teaching with Google Earth:Examples
Undergraduate students map data from the National Geophysical Data Center and the United States Geological Survey on Google Earth and study visualizations in order to explore the causes and effects of the Tsunami ...
2004 Asian Earthquake and Tsunami Disaster Project part of Cooperative Learning:Examples
Students are employees of a unit of the United Nations responsible for coordinating disaster relief after a major disaster (the 2004 Asian Earthquake and Tsunami) occurs. The agency needs to understand the ...
Global Temperatures part of Teaching with Data:Examples
Students analyze the global temperature record from 1867 to the present. Long-term trends and shorter-term fluctuations are both evaluated. -
Learn more about this review process.
See the activity page for details.
Modern CO2 part of Teaching with Data:Examples
Students compare carbon dioxide (CO2) data from Mauna Loa Observatory, Barrow (Alaska), and the South Pole over the past 40 years to help them better understand what controls atmospheric CO2. -
See the activity page for details.