Search Starting Point
This pages allows you to search across all of the Starting Point site. We also have a similar search limited to teaching activities.
Areas of the Site
- 15 matches General/Other
- Assessment 21 matches
- Campus-Based Learning 14 matches
- ConcepTests 334 matches
- Conceptual Models 8 matches
- Cooperative Learning 59 matches
- Earth History Approach 46 matches
- Experience-Based Environmental Projects 19 matches
- Field Labs 36 matches
- First Day of Class 65 matches
- Gallery Walks 36 matches
- Games 34 matches
- Indoor Labs 25 matches
- Interactive Lecture Demonstrations 77 matches
- Interactive Lectures 113 matches
- Investigative Case Based Learning 35 matches
- Jigsaws 10 matches
- Just in Time Teaching 75 matches
- Mathematical and Statistical Models 44 matches
- Models 12 matches
- Peer Review 28 matches
- Role Playing 43 matches
- Service Learning 41 matches
- Socratic Questioning 23 matches
- Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum 58 matches
- Studio Teaching in the Geosciences 14 matches
- Teaching Urban Students 11 matches
- Teaching with Data 70 matches
- Teaching with GIS 21 matches
- Teaching with Google Earth 19 matches
- Teaching with Visualizations 19 matches
- Undergraduate Research 47 matches
- Using an Earth System Approach 61 matches
Results 11 - 20 of 1533 matches
Whose Fault Is It Anyway? part of Games:Examples
This game has students simulate the propagation of P and S waves after an earthquake and to use the lag between these to determine where in the simulation the earthquake occurred. -
Runaway Greenhouse Effect Exercise part of Role Playing:Examples
This site has a collection of role-playing exercises that provide the students with equations and data to use in collaborative problem-solving. -
See the activity page for details.
Fracture Fundamentals: A Cheesy Analog part of Interactive Lecture Demonstrations:Examples
This activity has students make small cuts in processed cheese food and then apply shear stress perpendicular or parallel to the cuts to see what sort of fracturing will occur. -
Campus Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory part of Campus-Based Learning:Examples
Students conduct a greenhouse gas emission inventory for their college or university. Students analyze findings and present information to the college or university community. -
Half Life Model part of Interactive Lecture Demonstrations:Examples
While working in groups to facilitate peer tutoring, students manipulate a hands-on, physical model to better comprehend the nature of half life. Students use the model to simulate the decay of radionuclides. The ...
Metamorphic Rocks Lab part of Indoor Labs:Examples
Students are introduced to the processes involved in metamorphism through hands-on study of rock samples. They examine different metamorphic paths, protoliths, textures, and minerals. -
Comparing Carbon Calculators part of Teaching with Data:Examples
Carbon calculators, no matter how well intended as tools to help measure energy footprints, tend to be black boxes and can produce wildly different results, depending on the calculations used to weigh various ...
How Do We Estimate Magma Viscosity? part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students build a spreadsheet to examine how magma viscosity varies with temperature, fraction of crystals, and water content using the non-Arrhenian VFT model.
Bubbles in Magmas part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students build a spreadsheet and apply the ideal gas law to model the velocity of a bubble rising in a viscous magma.
Porosity and Permeability of Magmas part of Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum:Examples
SSAC Physical Volcanology module. Students build a spreadsheet for an iterative calculation to find volume of bubbles and hence porosity, permeability and gas escape as a function of depth.