Writing about the world's fisheries (Calibrated Peer Review):
1) develop an understanding of issues affecting the management of the global fisheries
2) learn to study opposing viewpoints and develop a policy position
Context for Use
This is a writing assignment that the student can do in a computer lab or her/his own computer. It is targeted at an introductory geology or oceanography course.
Equipment required for EarthEd Online:
*Macintosh OSX and Classic or PC with Win/98/2000/XP.
Information about other data browsers, EarthEd Online, and UCSB Oceanography can be found at: UCSB Oceanography home page
Assignment Description-student handout (Microsoft Word 28kB May24 05)
Anatomy of a science paper-student handout (Microsoft Word 178kB May12 05)
How to avoid the appearance of cheating-student handout (Microsoft Word 27kB May12 05)
The following link will download a zip file containing the 3 calibration papers used in this writing assignment. The instructor will have to create the scores for each paper, unless the EarthEd Online writing system is used. Three calibration papers in web page format - zip file ( 98kB May24 05)
I use EarthEdOnline to deliver this assignment. The following document describes EarthEd Online and results with the CPR assignment delivered to a general education oceanography class during the winter quarter of 2005.
Using EarthEd Online to deliver a CPR assignment (Acrobat (PDF) 4.9MB Apr28 05)
Teaching Notes and Tips
- lecture on fisheries and population dynamics
- reading about the global fisheries from the class text
- reading "Anatomy of a Science Paper" (see Teaching Materials)
- an online homework assignment covering fisheries
- a 2 hr lab activity: "The Fishing Game," a game derived from Fishbanks.
- in-class discussions of science writing and use of evidenced in argumentation