Cooperative Exercises and Examples
There are lots of ways to use cooperative learning in your classroom. These links will take you to other areas of the Starting Point site with resources that can be adapted using the techniques of cooperative learning.
- Indoor Labs: especially if a written report is involved
- Outdoor Labs: again, especially if they do a written report
- Independent Research Projects: works well with jigsawing, can involve data or models
- Peer Review: works well with pairs
- Jigsaws: this structured format lets each team member prepare separate but related assignments, then share their work with peer teaching
- Interactive Cases: these open-ended investigations require cooperation
- Team Games: you'll want to add individual accountability
- Interactive Role-Playing: scenarios and roles can be written to ensure that all students are part of cooperative teams
- Reviewing journal articles: You may want to create interdependence by assigning several articles and give different ones to different group members.
- Studio Courses: Traditional courses can be reorganized into a more student-centered model (see also Williamson and Rowe, 2002 and Savarese, 1988 ).
Below, you can browse through examples of cooperative learning that have already been developed. You can use them "as is" or let them serve as models for you to develop your own.
Earth System Topicsshowing only Surface Processes Show all Earth System Topics
Results 1 - 2 of 2 matches
Determining the Geologic History of Rocks from a Gravel Deposit part of Examples
Gravels deposited as a result of continental glaciation are used to teach introductory-level earth-science students the application of the scientific method in a cooperative learning mode which utilizes hands-on, ...
2004 Asian Earthquake and Tsunami Disaster Project part of Examples
Students are employees of a unit of the United Nations responsible for coordinating disaster relief after a major disaster (the 2004 Asian Earthquake and Tsunami) occurs. The agency needs to understand the ...