Explore Teaching Examples
Earth System Topicsshowing only Biosphere Show all Earth System Topics
Pedagogyshowing only Lecture Show all Pedagogy
Results 1 - 10 of 33 matches
Carbon Dioxide Exercise part of Interactive Lectures:Examples
Students work in groups, plotting carbon dioxide concentrations over time on overheads and estimating the rate of change over five years. -
Learn more about this review process.
JiTT - Dam Removal - A Good Idea or Not? part of Just in Time Teaching:Examples
1) What are some of the biological effects of dam removal (good and bad)? 2) What are some of the more pressing/compelling reasons to remove a dam? Explain. 3) The Stanley and Doyle (2003) article states that, ...
Constructing Phylogenetic Trees: The Whippo Story part of Interactive Lectures:Examples
An interactive lecture in which students use data on feeding habits and habitat, skeletons, and DNA sequences to draw phylogenetic trees. -
JiTT-Scientific Method part of Just in Time Teaching:Examples
A "Just in Time Teaching" question about he scientific method with follow-up class room activities and an exam question. -
JiTT - La Brea Tar Pits part of Just in Time Teaching:Examples
1) What is "tar" and how does it form? 2) List the animals that have been uncovered in the tar pits that you didn't know were native to North America. Why do you think these animals are now extinct? ...
JiTT - Neanderthals and Modern Humans part of Just in Time Teaching:Examples
1) What are Neanderthals? How do they differ from modern humans? 2) Discuss some of the new ideas as to why early human ancestors dispersed from Africa. 3) What are DNA studies telling us about human migrations and ...
JiTT - The Big 5 Extinctions and Then Some part of Just in Time Teaching:Examples
1) What are the three leading ideas for the cause of the Permian mass extinction? What is the evidence for and against each? 2) Why are tropical forest species going extinct the quickest? 3) What are the ...
JiTT - Life in the Sahara Desert part of Just in Time Teaching:Examples
1) What the Sahara always a desert? How do we know? (*NOTE: for this question, I want you to focus on the physical environment) 2) What modern-day animals can be found in the desert? How do they survive? 3) Why ...
JiTT - When "Modern" Human Behavior Appeared in Early Hominids part of Just in Time Teaching:Examples
1) What is this controversy in regards to the emergence of "modern" human behavior? In your opinion, what do you think "modern" human behavior means? 2) How do beads symbolize modern human ...
JiTT - Life on the Moon and Mars part of Just in Time Teaching:Examples
1) Based on "Microbial Colony in US..." article, what are Archaea? 2) From the same article, which of the following is NOT evidence to support life on Mars? a) Mars' subsurface groundwater system b) ...