Explore Teaching Examples
Earth System Topicsshowing only Evolution Show all Earth System Topics
Results 21 - 29 of 29 matches
JiTT - La Brea Tar Pits part of Just in Time Teaching:Examples
1) What is "tar" and how does it form? 2) List the animals that have been uncovered in the tar pits that you didn't know were native to North America. Why do you think these animals are now extinct? ...
JiTT - Neanderthals and Modern Humans part of Just in Time Teaching:Examples
1) What are Neanderthals? How do they differ from modern humans? 2) Discuss some of the new ideas as to why early human ancestors dispersed from Africa. 3) What are DNA studies telling us about human migrations and ...
JiTT - The Big 5 Extinctions and Then Some part of Just in Time Teaching:Examples
1) What are the three leading ideas for the cause of the Permian mass extinction? What is the evidence for and against each? 2) Why are tropical forest species going extinct the quickest? 3) What are the ...
JiTT - When "Modern" Human Behavior Appeared in Early Hominids part of Just in Time Teaching:Examples
1) What is this controversy in regards to the emergence of "modern" human behavior? In your opinion, what do you think "modern" human behavior means? 2) How do beads symbolize modern human ...
JiTT - The Legs of Snakes and Whales part of Just in Time Teaching:Examples
1) What are the adaptations needed to move from water to land (whether it be an arthropod or a "pioneering amphibian")? 2) Could snakes be linked to marine lizards? What your view and interpretations of ...
Driving Through Geologic Time - An analogy part of Quantitative Skills:Activity Collection
An analogy of the Earth's history to a cross-country drive.
Calibrated Peer ReviewTM: Discovering Dinosaurs part of Peer Review:Examples
In this activity, students write an essay on the history of scientific discoveries in the field of dinosaur paleontology. -
Science and Religion part of Cutting Edge:Enhance Your Teaching:Teaching Methods:Structured Academic Controversy:Examples
Evolution is a fundamental theory of modern geosciences and life sciences, yet it is one of the most controversial issues within science education. The origins of the controversy have both historical and ...
Reconstructing the Evolution of Cauliflower and Broccoli part of Teaching Genomics at Small Colleges:Genomics Instructional Units Minicollection
This laboratory exercise focuses on the connections between plant genetics and morphology.