Designing Courses around Central Geoscience & Environmental Issues in your Community
InTeGrate materials help introduce students to earth and environmental issues relevant to community decision making and national policies. Materials explore environmental justice, community decision making, risk, coastal resilience planning, and communication barriers, and a selection of examples are included in Political Activities for Your Course. These are effective launch points for campus solution and advocacy-oriented projects. Project expertise can be integrated in multi-week efforts that investigate the local implications of policy change or Op-Eds, Blog, or Social Media assignments that give students an opportunity to communicate to new audiences.
- Planning Around Locally Relevant Issues Worksheet (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 16kB Mar2 17)
- Course Design Tutorial from On the Cutting Edge
- Global Climate Change Course that was designed around local climate issues and solutions informed by experts & features a public event.
- AAC&U Civic Engagement VALUE Rubric
- Political Activities for Your Course explore environmental justice, communication, and decision making.
- Reflection Resources helpful for designing projects. Reflection questions give students and opportunity to build personal connection.
- Op-Eds, Blogs, and Social Media also support building synthesis and communication skills. They also reach new audiences.