Understand Workforce Needs
The Workforce for a Sustainable Future
In order to prepare your students for the future workforce, you (and they) need to understand what the current workforce looks like, and learn about the needs of and opportunities offered by the future workforce. See more information about employment statistics, information about major employment sectors, and a description of future opportunities that will arise as the current workforce retires.
In particular, explore job outlooks for specific sectors of the workforce, including the:
- Outlook for Mature Energy and Mining Jobs
- Outlook for Emerging Energy and Sustainability Jobs
- Outlook for Environmental Consulting
Learn about what Employers are Looking For
Prepare students for the workforce by ensuring your program is equipped to train them with the the knowledge and skills employers are looking for.
Read first-hand accounts of what employers are looking for and what skills and competencies are in demand in industry. This page includes employer and employee interviews and career profiles across several fields in the geosciences and beyond.
- The Building Strong Geoscience Departments project has compiled materials related to workforce trends, career pathways and student preparation. These materials were authored in 2007.
- Career Development site guide provides links to several projects related to providing resources and information for graduate students, post-docs, and early career faculty. While many are geoscience-based, most of the information they contain is applicable for other STEM disciplines as well.
- The Supporting and Advancing Geoscience Education in Two-Year Colleges (SAGE) program has a host of resources about Geoscience Careers for 2-year college students.
- Workforce Oveview lays out information about what geoscientists do, what kinds of preparation are necessary, and what the earning potential is in various parts of the geoscience workforce.
- Career Pathways - Students can use the information on this page to plot their own route to a satisfying career in the geosciences.
- Career Profiles - This collection of career profiles combines personal descriptions of the individual career paths of many geoscience professionals. From academia, to industry, to government, and beyond, there are many ways that a geoscience degree can set our students up for success.