TOTLE in the Field:
"TOTLE in the Field" is a set of virtual field environments built to enhance and extend the field component of the TOTLE (Teachers on the Leading Edge) summer workshops. The web address at the end of this summary is for the virtual environment, an accompanying teachers manual, and a student activity page that links the virtual environments to a series of guided inquiry activities.
- Familiarizing them with geography and geology of the sites that they visit during the workshop.
- Familiarizing them with the guided inquiry activities that they will engage in during the field trip.
Context for Use
Description and Teaching Materials
- Virtual Field Environment - A desk-top virtual environment that allows users to explore the general geology and tectonics of the Pacific Northwest, as well as volcanic and seismic hazards associated with specific places in western Oregon and Washington.
- A teachers guide providing geologic background relevant to the places represented by the virtual environment and a series of activities related to virtual sites contained in it.
- Student activity page - A web page linking specific sites to specific activities.