EET Workshop Resources
Join Us for an EET Workshop!
The Earth Exploration Toolbook (EET) Workshops project is offering a free online workshop on the EET chapter, Shrinking Forest - Growing Problem, on Thursday, October 28th. After the workshop, we will ask you to complete an online survey. We will also ask you to implement what you have learned with your students and share the results of your implementation. You will receive $120 stipend after your classroom implementation.
Before the Workshop: Confirm Your Participation
To confirm your participation, complete the PreWorkshop Survey.
Before the Workshop: Configure Your Computer for Elluminate Live!
Participants connecting to Elluminate from behind a firewall should consult their school technical support personnel or consider taking the workshop using their home computer. Elluminate (as with any remote demonstration/collaboration tool) requires you to download and install files. If you are unable to download files, or do not have administrative privileges to perform installations on your computer, you may not be able to participate in an Elluminate session without additional assistance. Plan ahead!
Elluminate Live! is a Java-based, real-time web collaboration environment built specifically for live multimedia collaboration. It offers features such as direct messaging, application sharing, file transfer, and interactive whiteboards. Before the workshop, please check your computer's configuration in the setting where you will be taking the workshop.
- Enable your browser to pop up new windows. Click the Support tab First Time Users .
- Your computer's operating system will be detected by Elluminate. If Java Web Start is already installed on your computer, you can proceed to Step 2 of the First Time User's webpage. If not, follow the on-screen instructions for installing Java Web Start. NOTE: Macs running OS X are already configured to use Elluminate.
- Click on the Configuration Room link on the First Time User's webpage to bring up a demo Eluminate page on your browser. This step is optional, but recommended. You will be asked to allow access to your computer and download of a file. This file (meeting.jnlp) may appear in your downloads folder or on your desktop and this java file may begin to load Eluminate Live! automatically or wait for you to doube-click it. It will load the Elluminate telconferencing pages onto your computer. You can exit the Elluminate webpages when you have entered the Configuration Room. You are all set to take the workshop.
Before the Workshop: Download Data and Install Software
The workshop facilitators will demonstrate the data analysis techniques of Shrinking Forest - Growing Problem through Elluminate. You will get the most out of the workshop if you try to work along with the facilitators. To do this, you will want to make sure that you
- Install ImageJ and download the three SAR images in Part 1 of the chapter:
Participating in the Workshop
- Please make arrangements to be at a relatively quiet telephone connection with access to an Internet connection at the same time.
- Be prepared to start on time.
To help you get connected on time, both the teleconference number and the virtual classroom space will be open 15 minutes before the session begins. Please double check the start time of the session for the time zone in which you will be calling. Past participants have been disappointed when they accidentally call into the session an hour early or an hour late!
- To connect to the teleconference, dial the 1-800 number below. When prompted, enter the participant access code.
- To access the virtual classroom, click the link below
- Clicking the EET Workshops Classroom link above will take you to the virtual classroom space. When prompted, please enter your first and last name and click the Login button. During start up you will need to trust the certificate that enables Elluminate to run.
- When Elluminate has loaded, you will be in the virtual classroom.
Teleconference Number: 1-800-511-8018
Access Code: 8626754
During the Workshop
Here are some links that we will refer to: