Part 1—Download and Install Software
Step 1 – Download Google Earth
- Access the Google Earth download page to download and install the free version of Google Earth for your operating system.
- Click on the http://www.google.com/earth/index.html to access the Google Earth website. You will see the window shown below. On this page, click the Download Google Earth 6 button.
- A Downloads page will open. On the bottom of this page, click the Agree and Download button. Note: you may want to uncheck the "Include Google Chrome" check box.
- The download will begin. While the download is taking place, a Thank You page will display.
- The program installer will download to your Downloads folder. The Downloads window will show the progress of your download.
- Depending on your browser settings, the installer may start automatically; if not, follow the instructions in Step 2.
- At the end of the download, an alert box will tell you that the .dmg (Mac) or .exe (PC) file contains an application. Click the Continue (Mac) or Save (PC) button to finish the download.
Step 2 – Install Google Earth
- When the download is complete, locate the downloaded (.dmg or .exe) file in your Downloads folder and double-click it to initiate the installation. In some systems the installer will start automatically.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation. Typically, Google Earth is installed in the Applications (Mac) or Programs (PC) folder.
- On a Windows OS, open the GoogleEarthSetup.exe file and click Run. When installed, Google Earth launches automatically.
- Create a shortcut or alias to the program for easy access.
Step 3 – Download and Install My World GIS
Note: (August 2015) A 45-day free trial of My World is available through PASCO scientific.
- Open the PASCO My World homepage. Scroll down the page, and click the Free Trial tab.
- Select the version of software for your type of operating system or platform (Windows or Mac OS X).
- Click the word Download to begin downloading the installer to your computer.
- A My World GIS™ version 5.0 Trial Version Installer will download to your computer.
- Double click the installer app and follow the onscreen instructions to install My World GIS on your computer.
Note: You may want to return to the My World GIS website later and explore its resources.