Telecon 2: Investigating the Precipitation-Streamflow Relationship
Second Teleconference Online Workshop Using Excel
You can particpate in our second Teleconference Online Workshop on either Tuesday, April 8 from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM or on Saturday, April 12, 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM. Please make arrangements to be at a relatively quiet telephone connection with access to an Internet connection at the same time.
Getting Ready for the Workshop
- To preview Investigating the Precipitation-Streamflow Relationship, go to the
- To prepare for the workshop, acquaint yourself with the chapter by looking over the Title Page, Teaching Notes, and Case Study.
- Next, complete all steps of Part 1, downloading the streamflow data from the USGS and saving it to a folder named SF_Data, in a place that you can easily relocate. If you run into problems, the data can be downloaded directly from the bottom of the page.
- Then, complete Steps 1 & 2 of Part 2 and visit the National Climatic Data Center, but do not actually request and pay for the second dataset. Instead, download the ascii text file and the Web form from Step 2 and save them in the PS_Data folder.
- Consider printing out each of the five Parts of the Step-by-Step instructions.
This will allow you to focus your attention during the workshop on preparing and graphing the streamflow and precipitation data with Excel. Instead of constantly switching between the EET directions in your browser and the actual data analysis you will be doing in Excel, you will be able to refer to the paper printout of the steps.
- If you have not already done so, make sure your browser can support the Eluminate Web-conferencing software.
Elluminate Configuration Check
- Last, we have found that school firewalls can sometimes prevent participants from accessing Elluminate. To test your ability to connect to an Elluminate Classroom, click the link below. You can ignore the instructions for configuring your audio. We will be using the telephone, rather than Elluminate to talk to each other.
Elluminate Test Classroom
- If you have any difficulties getting ready for the workshop, please contact Nick, Carla, or LuAnn.