Sample Investigation Questions
Shout Out Loud
- How is the loudness of sound measured?
- What are the possible reasons that some words may be said louder than others?
- What are the possible reasons that some people can shout words louder than others?
- How can we analyze data to answer questions about the loudness data collected?
Robolander on Mars
How can a robot be controlled remotely using images of the region?
Hurricane Tracking Using GIS
- How can the path of hurricanes be tracked?
- What conditions affect the path and strength of hurricanes?
Water Quality Studies
- How do the profile, flow and chemical composition of Plymouth's Eel River change from year to year?
The Chernobyl Accident
- How has the Chernobyl accident affected the environment in Ukraine?
- Have resources been affected?
- What are the far-reaching effects of the Chernobyl accident?
Mt. St. Helens
- How did the eruption at Mount St. Helens affect the environment?
- Have ecosystems been affected?
- What were the effects on habitats?
- How were surrounding towns affected?
Locating Current Earthquake Activity
- How many earthquakes have occurred in the last 24 hours? In the last seven days?
- Where were these earthquakes located?
- Do you think earthquakes occur in predictable locations?
Using Excel to Analyze Mineral Density
- Is the density of a mineral related to its chemical composition?
- Are other properties of minerals related to density?
Climate Longitude Investigation
- Does longitude affect climate? What factors affect climate?
Earth System Investigation
- How does the Earth act like a system?
- In what way do energy and processes cause matter to cycle through various 'reservoirs' contained within the earth's spheres?
Looking for Alewife in all the Right Places
- When and where do Alewives spawn along the North Atlantic seaboard?
- Does the population fluctuate seasonally?
- What is density?
- How can the density of a material be found given the volume and mass of a material?
- What is the importance of knowing the density?
Boston Harbor Investigation
- How much of Boston is built on fill?
- What areas of Boston didn't exist before 1838?
- What landmarks could be in jeopardy if an earthquake struck Boston?
- What would happen to the areas that were built on fill?
- How do the times of sunrise and sunset vary throughout the year?
- When are the day light hours the greatest and when are they the least?
- How do these times change with latitude?
- How does this affect the seasons?
Is Pluto a Planet?
- What are the characteristics of a planet?
- Do the characteristics of Pluto match more closely that of a planet or of a Kuiper object?
Investigating Plate Tectonics Using GIS from the Earth Exploration Toolbook Chapter
- What is the relationship between earthquakes and plate boundaries?
- What is the pattern of large earthquakes with respect to their proximity to diverging, converging and transform plate boundaries?
- How can the patterns and relationships of historic earthquakes be used to predict the location of future earthquakes?
Analyzing the Antarctic Ozone Hole from the Earth Exploration Toolbook Chapter
- What is an ozone hole? How big is the hole? Is there a significant increase every year?
- How do scientists interpret the images to identify the ozone hole?