More Help with the isee Player and Modeling
Download iseePlayer_tutorial.zip (Zip Archive 8.2MB Jan5 09). Unzip the file. Be sure to keep all associated files and folders in the folder with the name iseePlayer_tutorial.
Alternatively, you may wish to download the file: isee-tutorial-GLOBECC.ppt (PowerPoint 1.2MB Dec19 08), which uses the biomass model to demonstrate isee player capabilities. This tutorial is a PowerPoint presentation, which can be printed and distributed to students.
Other Carbon Storage ActivitiesThe activity presented here is part of a larger set of activities created by the GLOBE Carbon Cycle team which looks at the carbon cycle in terrestrial ecosystems.
Activities already developed include:
- Using a model driven by climate variables (temperature and precipitation) to look at net primary productivity, biomass, and carbon storage in global biomes.
- Measuring carbon storage in your school yard through field data collection and analysis.
- Performing plant experiments to understand biomass and carbon storage at the smallest scale.
- The original FIA Carbon Summaries Excel file StateForestCarbonSummaries.xls (Excel 638kB Dec19 08)
- EPA State CO2 Emissions by Fossil Fuel Combustion State and Local Climate and Energy Program
- The atomic weight of carbon and carbon dioxide (CO2)
ForestAge_RPA.xls (Excel 1.4MB Dec19 08)
Other ResourcesSee also Exploring Forest Extent, Composition and C Storage using US Forest Inventory and Analysis Data and Reports.
Case Studies with Tool
Other EET chapters that contain related material include the following:
Visalizing Carbon PathwaysUse NASA's Earth Observatory, global map collection, NASA NEO and ImageJ to build several animations of satellite data that illustrate carbon pathways through the Earth system.
Using Satellite Images to Understand Earth's AtmosphereUse ImageJ to create an animation showing the change in monthly concentration of aerosols over the course of a year and compare it to a similar animation showing change in carbon monoxide concentration.
Shrinking Forest - Growing ProblemUse time-series Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) images to create a color composite image showing the oldest to most recently deforested areas in the Amazon rainforest.