Why Choose an Environmental Focus?
Go back to the beginning of this presentation, by Carolyn Eyles and Susan Vajoczki of McMaster University, about integrating interdisciplinary programs into an existing department.
- Western end of Lake Ontario
- Urban/industrial - contaminated ground & surface water
- Low socio-economic status
- Environmental issues
- Health issues
- Medical school
- Institute of Environment and Health
- Existing research interests/strengths
- Science (environmental geology, geophysics, climate)
- Social science (environment & health, GIS)
- New hires in environmental fields (14 since 1998)
- General interest
- Employment opportunities
- Local competition! Need to be distinct from other geoscience programs in region